Old October 24th 06, 08:02 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

Default Hammarlund Pro-310

Hi everyone!
I'm new to the group and just retired. I'm looking for a Hammarlund
Pro-310 receiver to possibly restore as a hobby. I have fond memories
of this receiver from my high school days. Has anyone had experience
restoring one of these? I cannot find much about this except that they
appear to be rare. Also did the Pro-310 contain any black beauties or
other paper caps?

Old October 24th 06, 10:48 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

eddie wrote:
Hi everyone!
I'm new to the group and just retired. I'm looking for a Hammarlund
Pro-310 receiver to possibly restore as a hobby. I have fond memories
of this receiver from my high school days. Has anyone had experience
restoring one of these? I cannot find much about this except that they
appear to be rare. Also did the Pro-310 contain any black beauties or
other paper caps?

Hi, and welcome to Boatanchors.

Here is a web site about the Pro-310 by Grant NQ5T:
http://mysite.verizon.net/nq5t/pro310/

73,
Ed Knobloch

Old October 25th 06, 03:00 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

After reading NQ5T's adventure in repairing the dial drives
I undersatnd why Frank Lester W2AMJ/W4AMJ called the PRO-310 Hammarlund's
great adventure. The Bandswitch mechanism cost hammarlund about $75.

Frank first task was to call sales manager Frank Sylvester who was at henry
radio getting an order for 100 sets. Frank put the receiver thru some tests
and did not like the performance especially of the IF's so he called
Sylvester back to give him time to figure out what was wrong. He said the
receiver was the gosh darndest thing to get into he had every seen. He
fixed the problem that was in the second IF stage and then completely
revamped the Rf. That the receiver met specs was due to the fast redo by
Frank and the young engineer who had designed the receiver. None of the
Engineers were hams so Frank made them get their tickets so they would see
designs in the way hams see them.

I enterviewed Frank in 1997 and he agrees with a statement made by NQ5T
about "lasting forever" never intended to be 50 years plus! Frank went on
to take over the Super Pro 600 fixes and notes (every goverment contract
wanted some different) and design the basic HC-10 which became the basis for
hammarlund receivers (60 kcs IF's and the Hammarlund patented slot filter)
for the next decade.

Frank became a slient key this Spring at the age of 97.

Lloyd Hammarlund pulled the plug on the PRO-310 after
only 600 units as the margin in the amateur radio market
was too small and no government contracts for the receiver were ever
received try as they might.

Just to find such a receiver in restorable shape is a miracle
Frank told me and this was in May 1997.

happy restoring!

Dave K4JRB

Old October 25th 06, 10:27 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

"David Thompson" wrote in message
link.net...
[...]

I am fascinated to hear some of the inside story of this
receiver. I remember when they came out, I drooled over one
at Henry Radio when I was about 14 or 15. However, I
remember they did not stir up much excitement at the time,
perhaps too much competition and too expensive. I don't
think I've seen one since.

--
---
Richard Knoppow

Old October 5th 08, 01:40 AM
Junior Member

Hi, I have one I want to sell.(pro-310 Hammarlund)
I have seen it on a neighbors table since I was 4 or 5. I'm 45 now. He passed away several years ago and all of his old ham stuff was given to me. I put it in my mothers shed as she still lived across the street from him about 2002 or 03. I just got it out to take home and see what I had.
I am not able to restore something like this, so I will sell it to someone who can and will enjoy it.
Dave, ke4gyx

Old January 26th 09, 03:17 AM
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ke4gyx View Post
Hi, I have one I want to sell.(pro-310 Hammarlund)
I have seen it on a neighbors table since I was 4 or 5. I'm 45 now. He passed away several years ago and all of his old ham stuff was given to me. I put it in my mothers shed as she still lived across the street from him about 2002 or 03. I just got it out to take home and see what I had.
I am not able to restore something like this, so I will sell it to someone who can and will enjoy it.
Dave, ke4gyx
I just put the radio on Ebay today, 01-25-2009
If you know anyone looking for one, please let them know
Thansk
KE4GYX

Tuning slugs HX-50 Hammarlund N9NEO Boatanchors 1 December 24th 05 08:09 PM
Hammarlund HQ-170 SR Shortwave 43 October 5th 05 10:06 PM
FS: Heathkit, Hammarlund, National, Yaesu and More Dave Hollander Equipment 0 June 15th 04 06:51 PM
FS: Heathkit, Hammarlund, National, Yaesu and More Dave Hollander Swap 0 June 15th 04 06:51 PM
Looking for former Hammarlund employees Les Locklear Boatanchors 0 March 13th 04 01:55 PM