Old January 25th 07, 07:08 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

Default What is BEST all-tube, general coverage receiver under $1000? Under $2000?

" ) writes:
found the name: AN/WRR-2

Don't see many of those on ebay.

Isn't that the one that used subminiature tubes? The one I'm thinking of
was pretty fancy, I never saw one up close, but I thought it did. And while
getting tubes doesn't seem to be a problem, subminiatures might be given
they never saw the same useage even in the old days.

Michael VE2BVW

On Jan 25, 10:56 am, " wrote:
There's also that big National receiver that has umpteen dozen tubes in
it,
shipboard, it's a monster.

Old January 26th 07, 08:53 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

It had about 65 tubes, came in two parts and was a horror to maintain.
There is absolutely no good reason to mention it in this thread, I am
afraid :-). The Navy did not like its performance either. It does
sometimes come up for sale, but not at any high price. Postage and
Packing problems means that it is not a typical ebay item.

Clemens