Old March 26th 07, 12:36 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

Default Tube question

Bob Weiss wrote:
Theo wrote:
Regarding the "all metal" tubes series by RCA,
can anyone tell me if there was ever a metal version
of the 6SN7?
I cannot find any reference on the web.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

The 6SN7, being a dual triode with all elements pinned out separately,
would need all 8 pins on the octal base. On metal tubes, pin #1 was
always reserved for a connection to ground the metal shell.

There aren't enough base pins available to make a metal 6SN7 possible.

Bob Weiss N2IXK

Put a "grid" cap on it for the ground :-)

Bill K7NOM
Old March 26th 07, 12:42 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

Didn't some of the Majestic "spray shield"
(S suffix) tubes use the cathode for the shield pin?

Pete

Old March 27th 07, 08:22 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

On Mar 25, 1:18 pm, Bob Weiss wrote:
Theo wrote:
Regarding the "all metal" tubes series by RCA,
can anyone tell me if there was ever a metal version
of the 6SN7?
I cannot find any reference on the web.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

The 6SN7, being a dual triode with all elements pinned out separately,
would need all 8 pins on the octal base. On metal tubes, pin #1 was
always reserved for a connection to ground the metal shell.

There aren't enough base pins available to make a metal 6SN7 possible.

Bob Weiss N2IXK

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Bob: I think you must be correct! And come to think we used 6SN7s in
our three channel Lenkurt telecommunications/telephone carrier
equipment in the 1950s and I do not, now it is discussed, ever recall
seeing a metal one!
Terry