Old March 25th 07, 07:23 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

Default WANTED TO BUY-"RCA Sound" large cassette player-stereo model

If anyone has an RCA SOUND large cassette cartridge player, from
1950-60's era, I'm interested in buying one- stereo output with tubes
preferred, but will also consider solid state/mono machines and tapes

please email

Old March 26th 07, 03:22 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

duty-honor-country wrote:
If anyone has an RCA SOUND large cassette cartridge player, from
1950-60's era, I'm interested in buying one- stereo output with tubes
preferred, but will also consider solid state/mono machines and tapes

Do you mean large cassette, or do you mean cartridge? Do you mean
the 1/4" cassette format (for which no commercial machine was actually
released) or one of the 1/4" continuous loop cartridge formats (which
look like broadcast carts but are larger)?
--scott
Old March 27th 07, 06:47 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

Scott Dorsey wrote:
duty-honor-country wrote:
If anyone has an RCA SOUND large cassette cartridge player, from
1950-60's era, I'm interested in buying one- stereo output with tubes
preferred, but will also consider solid state/mono machines and tapes

Do you mean large cassette, or do you mean cartridge? Do you mean
the 1/4" cassette format (for which no commercial machine was actually
released) or one of the 1/4" continuous loop cartridge formats (which
look like broadcast carts but are larger)?
--scott

When you say 'commercial' are you excluding consumer machines? These
weren't common, but they did exist. My dad had one in the late 60's
that he bought used. It had 1/4", mono, double-sided, double-hubbed (R
to R) cartridge, roughly seven inches by maybe five inches. Tape ran at
3 3/4 ips.

I'm not aware of a stereo model, but would imagine it to be half-track....

Picture and short history: http://www.beoworld.co.uk/cassettes.htm

jak

Old March 27th 07, 07:16 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

jakdedert wrote:
Scott Dorsey wrote:
duty-honor-country wrote:
[...]

Further research indicates that RCA did indeed introduce the format in
stereo (1958). Speed for prerecorded cartridges was 3 3/4, but some
recorders also had a 1 7/8 ips option. Word is that the stereo machines
are now rare and somewhat expensive. There's a mono(?) version on eBay
right now, starting bid: $29.95

jak