Old April 20th 07, 03:58 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

Default Homebrew 11 tube CB receiver info wanted

On Apr 20, 9:08 am, Randy or Sherry Guttery
wrote:
msg wrote:
Surely there are those amongst us that built 27MHz walkie-talkie
kits from Allied (Knight) and others in the 1960's...

Back in the '60's - I was building AM broadcast transmitters, not CBs -
however - here in ought 7 - I have a 1962 Allied catalog in which the
back section is a KnightKit catalog. On page 408 there is a C-11
Citizens Band Transceiver Kit ($39.95). It transmits on any 1 of 22 CB
channels depending on crystal installed, and it manually tunes all 22 CB
channels. It does not list the tubes, but does note it's a superhet.

On the next page is a model C-27 Deluxe Transceiver Kit - for reception
it too manually tunes all 22 channels - plus has provisions for two
crystal controlled channels. The same switch also selects one of two
transmit frequencies. This is a dual conversion receiver, and while it
again does not list the tube compliment - it does say "7 dual-purpose
tubes, 2 single-purpose tubes, VR and rectifier". Since it mentions
regulated supplies for the oscillators, pretty sure that's the "VR".
$79.95 plus 2nd crystals - $1.95 each (transmit or receive, specify
channel).

best regards...
--
randy guttery

A Tender Tale - a page dedicated to those Ships and Crews
so vital to the United States Silent Service:http://tendertale.com

What about that old Hammerlund CB...was it called the HQ-105? or
something like that. Possibly someone put on a different front panel
and it now looks to be homebrew?? Just a thought.

Old April 20th 07, 04:04 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

Jim wrote:

There is only one
crystal socket. So the Knight Kit seems to be out.

The CB-11 has only one crystal socket - for the transmitter.

best regards...

Old April 20th 07, 06:31 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

Jim wrote:
Thanks for all the replies.

The chassis is very professionally done. The wiring is not so well
done. The filter cap wiring on the transmitter socket divider is a
joke. Thus the idea of a kit seems reasonable. There is only one
crystal socket. So the Knight Kit seems to be out. Family issues are
keeping me from more work on the rig right now, So I'll have to just
wait see what else is posted here, for a while before trying to draw a
schematic

I really am impressed by those that want to help, plus I've learned
some things.

Thankjs again.

Jim

Jim,

I suggest you post pictures in alt.binaries.pictures.radio, and post a
pointer here, so that viewers can see what we're talking about.

William

(Filter noise from my address for direct replies)