Old May 16th 07, 04:00 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

Default testing 8163/4-300Z

How can I bench test the 8163? At least can some one direct me to a filament
current chart/data that represents run time? I was he
http://www.cpii.com/docs/related/23/...%20Process.pdf
and they mentioned some test but do not list any data.

Thanks,
Paul P

Old May 16th 07, 04:07 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

On Wed, 16 May 2007 15:00:22 GMT, Paul P wrote in a0F2i.21924$b67.10361@trnddc06:
How can I bench test the 8163? At least can some one direct me to a filament
current chart/data that represents run time? I was he
http://www.cpii.com/docs/related/23/...%20Process.pdf
and they mentioned some test but do not list any data.

I've found that an E-mail or snail mail note to the good folks at CPII
gets a speedy response containing a wealth of information. My query
was about the 4CX250K, not the 8163/4-300Z, but you might well get the
same good service I got.

--
Mike Andrews, W5EGO

Tired old sysadmin
Old May 17th 07, 03:11 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

Hi Paul:

It was common in the thirties to test your own tube - without a tube tester.
Simply get an old radio book from the thirties and read about it.

You can breadboard a tube tester using a lot of jumpers and meters. I have
tested tubes such as the 811 and 211 using basic equipment. Fire up the
filament. Get some plate voltage (how about a 9 volt battery?) A
microammeter to measure plate current is also needed. Also, helpful to have
a variable voltage for the grid, to monitor changes in plate current with
changes in grid voltage.

Colin K7FM