Old June 30th 07, 02:30 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

Default WANTED: 1KW Modulation Reactor

Chuck - K1KW wrote:
Hi,

Just finishing up my big AM rig and I'm looking for a 30 to 50 Henry at

500
mA or more modulation reactor to complete it. I'd like to locate a

reactor
from a 1 KW AM broadcast rig. Decent reward for the right one.

Thanks!

Chuck...K1KW

Chuck,
Have you tried Peter W. Dahl Company (http://www.pwdahl.com/)? It appears
they make chokes.
73,
Bryan WA7PRC

Old June 30th 07, 03:08 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

Chuck - K1KW wrote:

Thanks for the offer, but it won't work for me. I'm looking for what is
basically a choke with high inductance and specially wound for this
application with 30 to 50 H for the classic modified Heising set up in my
new rig as used in many AM broadcast transmitters.

Hmm... and it's got to be nice and broadband. How much DC is going
through there?

I assume the secondary winding off a microwave oven transformer isn't going
to be more than ten henries or so.
--scott

Old June 30th 07, 03:09 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

Bryan wrote:

Chuck,
Have you tried Peter W. Dahl Company (http://www.pwdahl.com/)? It appears
they make chokes.

They make wonderful chokes for all kinds of broadcast applications, they
have the best customer service I have ever seen, and the do beautiful work.

But they charge a fair price for their work, and that's often more than
I'd be willing to pay for a ham rig...
--scott
Old June 30th 07, 03:19 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

Deek wrote:

I learned what Heising Modulation was back in the early 50s while
earning an EE degree. Your sarcasm is misplaced.

Obviously, then, you forgot how Heising Modulation worked, or you
wouldn't have asked the question; and (hopeful) you've re-learned / been
reminded - how Heising Modulation works, specifically the use of a
modulation reactor as specified by the OP; - no sarcasm intended.

To "pick a nit" - Mr. Knobloch's description is only partially correct -
in that his description is of a *modified* Heising modulator. A
saturable reactor can also be used in a circuit without "capacitively
coupling an output of a modulation transformer" (i.e. no modulation
transformer at all) - which is a basic / original Heising modulator (as
opposed to a modified Heising).

early 50s: That is a long time. I've carried an FCC 1st since 66
- (when I was 16) added RADAR endorsement in 78. Still have my license
hanging on one last commercial AM broadcast transmitter, though I'd like
to retire from that one as well (at one time I had over a dozen AM&FM
stations here under my license).

You can see the last "tantrum" that transmitter threw he

http://www.comcents.com/rg/mw5.html

best regards...
--
randy guttery

A Tender Tale - a page dedicated to those Ships and Crews
so vital to the United States Silent Service:
http://tendertale.com
Old June 30th 07, 04:10 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

"Randy or Sherry Guttery" wrote in message
. ..
Deek wrote:

I early 50s: That is a long time. I've carried an FCC 1st since
66

- (when I was 16) added RADAR endorsement in 78. Still have my license
hanging on one last commercial AM broadcast transmitter, though I'd like
to retire from that one as well (at one time I had over a dozen AM&FM
stations here under my license).

--

randy guttery

A Tender Tale - a page dedicated to those Ships and Crews
so vital to the United States Silent Service:
http://tendertale.com

Small world! I got my 1st back in either 65 or 66 in high school. Working
transmitter summer relief was a lot better than picking tobacco with the
other high school kids back then.

Pete

Old June 30th 07, 07:51 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

Uncle Peter wrote:

Small world! I got my 1st back in either 65 or 66 in high school. Working
transmitter summer relief was a lot better than picking tobacco with the
other high school kids back then.

Hey Pete!

Yes, indeed... it also allowed a "wet behind the ears" kid to hang
around a radio station and meet some interesting characters. In my
case - helping to move a studio from the basement of a church to more
"suitable" digs... and getting to meet some of the deejays... I'll
never forget sitting on the board riding the gain while Dr. Demento cut
loose with a visitor: if you ever heard the Wolfman's howl live - you'd
never ever forget it!!!

best regards...