Old July 7th 07, 05:45 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

Default Best Tube-Type Transceiver?

I am interested in opinions as to the best tube-type transceiver ever
produced and why?

I know there will be lots of different opinions but I am interested in the
reasons behind these opinions.

Thanks!

Cal Barton
WB5CYS

Old July 7th 07, 06:40 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

Beech Creek wrote:

I am interested in opinions as to the best tube-type transceiver ever
produced and why?

It'd probably be nice if you'd define "transceiver"... otherwise there
is no contest... The AN/FRR-60 / AN/FRT-39/40 "set" wins hands down.
But then at a couple tons (literally)... and requiring over 60KW
primary power... not exactly your typical "base unit"...

Oh, why? let's see... 2 - 32Mc continuous tuning...
SSB (suppressed carrier)
SSB (with carrier)
DSB (suppressed carrier)
DSB (with carrier)
FSK
FAX
CW
MCW
Pulse modulation
Phase modulation

Receiver "stuff"...
Diversity: frequency or space. (this is the "super" FRR-60 - with two
full receivers paired and interconnected for active diversity).
Can handle 70db signal variation without AGC - 100 db with AGC
usable signal recovery to 150db range
AFC can track signal "drift" at least to 1KC at a slew rate of 10cps/sec.
Active noise limiting
Tunable notch filter +/- 8khz (works at IF frequency rather than audio).

Transmitter "stuff"...

10KW PEP (FRT-39) or 40KW PEP (FRT-40)
Same operating modes as receiver, including independant DSB (ISB) with
or without carrier.
Frequency accuracy to one part in 10 to the 8th. per day. (what drift?).

I'd hate to pay the power bill on the beast - but what a rig!!!!
--
randy guttery

A Tender Tale - a page dedicated to those Ships and Crews
so vital to the United States Silent Service:
http://tendertale.com
Old July 7th 07, 02:12 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

Randy or Sherry Guttery ) writes:
Beech Creek wrote:

I am interested in opinions as to the best tube-type transceiver ever
produced and why?

It'd probably be nice if you'd define "transceiver"... otherwise there
is no contest... The AN/FRR-60 / AN/FRT-39/40 "set" wins hands down.
But then at a couple tons (literally)... and requiring over 60KW
primary power... not exactly your typical "base unit"...

Gee, I was thinking something like a Gonset Communicator.

Not really, but yes "transceiver" is a very wide open term. It can
go from those transmitter and receivers in one box with very little
in common, to an actual SSB transceiver that the poster likely is
asking about.

But I was going to point out that in retrospect (and if we limit
the discussion to amateur radio SSB transceivers), the time span
is about fifteen years or so. It was the late fifties when such
a thing arrived on the market, and it was over by the early seventies,
with solid state taking over. Given it's at least thirty years since
then, it is a finite selection to start with.

Michael VE2BVW
Old July 7th 07, 02:46 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

Randy or Sherry Guttery wrote:
one of the most world-worthy was the KWM-2/A.

Yes, an incredible radio. When I was in the Air National Guard
at the Charlotte airport we had 2 complete KWM-2/A stations.
One with a 30-L1 amp on a full size 80 meter rombic and the
other with a 30-S1 on a tri-band on about 30 ft of tower.
They wouldn't let us have much tower since we were located
right next to the main runway.
The big rombic worked great during the week , but on Guard
drill weekends the field that it was over became a parking lot,
when it was full of cars it got real hard to get the antenna to tune.

I hope to have a KWM-2/A in my shack some day.

If anyone in the group is active on AM maybe we can meet on
the air soon. I bought a Johnson Viking 2 at the Salisbury hamfest
just a few hours ago.
This was about the best Salisbury fest they've had for several years.
There's was a good bit of BA gear there, and got to see a bunch
of old friends.
Besides the Viking I also bought a Diawa CN-800H cross needle
SWR/Watt meter and a couple of Waters coax switches.
I looked all over the fest for a Dow-Key relay so I can hook up
the Viking and my NC-183D for the Am station.

73 and happy 07-07-07

Ron
http://radioheaven.homestead.com/

Old July 7th 07, 02:49 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

Michael Black wrote:

Gee, I was thinking something like a Gonset Communicator.

Not really, but yes "transceiver" is a very wide open term. It can
go from those transmitter and receivers in one box with very little
in common, to an actual SSB transceiver that the poster likely is
asking about.

Certainly, and - one could go to the other extreme- handy-talkies, which
are as "absurd" as my first example (which was intended
toungue-in-cheek). As the OP noted - there are bound to be favorites,
and keeping within the likely "bounds" he intended- one of the most
world-worthy was the KWM-2/A.

There have been many tube transceivers over the years with good
reputations for performance, etc. - but only the KWM-2 stood
head-and-shoulders above the others in "field" reputation due to it's
service with the military over the Viet Nam years. First introduced in
the late 1950s, the KWM-2/A was fully mature by the time the military
started looking for a "solution" for it's MARS activities starting in
early 1960s. Collins had the perfect answer: A complete HAM (MARS)
station in a pair of Samsonite Suitcases. One holding the KWM-2/A and
the other the power supply, antenna and other accessories - the Marines
first started shipping these to the troops in January, 1963.

Not only very portable, but tough. Operating in a war, in a climate that
would destroy lesser equipment in weeks, the KWM-2/A earned it's
reputation as a reliable, effective workhorse over the next decade
years. I don't have sales figures on the KWM-2/A - but likely when
combined with it's predecessor the KWM-1 - they likely are the top
selling transceiver of all time.

as always - just my .02

Old July 8th 07, 09:17 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

On Fri, 6 Jul 2007 23:45:23 -0500, "Beech Creek"
wrote:

I am interested in opinions as to the best tube-type transceiver ever
produced and why?

I know there will be lots of different opinions but I am interested in the
reasons behind these opinions.

Thanks!

Cal Barton
WB5CYS

I'd agree that the Collins KWM2 transceiver is about the best for SSB
service but it came at a high price. However, it was mediocre at best
for CW service.

A transceiver that I believe actually sold in greater numbers than the
KWM2 series was the lowly Heathkit HW101. I know that they sold over
20,000 of them.

For it's price, if you can get one that was well assembled, you can do
no better. The HW101 was almost as stable as the KWM2, was FAR better
on CW with true carrier insertion, sidetone, vox that worked well and
an optional CW filter.

It's more expensive big brother was the Heathkit SB101 or SB102, the
poor mans copy of the Collins KWM2.

Another favorite of mine was the National NCX-5. The first mass
produced ham rig with a digital readout, albeit a mechanical one, that
was actually accurate. It had good audio, good filtering and was
reliable (with the exception of the weird T/R relay that was always
energized in receive mode). It also had a decent sense of style and
used sweep tubes but ran them at a realistic limit. With its companion
NCL2000 2KW linear, it's a real rock cruncher of a station.

73,
Doug/WA1TUT
Old July 8th 07, 12:05 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

On Jul 8, 4:17 am, Doug wrote:

A transceiver that I believe actually sold in greater numbers than the
KWM2 series was the lowly Heathkit HW101. I know that they sold over
20,000 of them.

For it's price, if you can get one that was well assembled, you can do
no better. The HW101 was almost as stable as the KWM2, was FAR better
on CW with true carrier insertion, sidetone, vox that worked well and
an optional CW filter.

It's more expensive big brother was the Heathkit SB101 or SB102, the
poor mans copy of the Collins KWM2.

What a thing to consider! The KWM-2/2A cost between five and ten
times what the HW-101 and SB-100,101,102. did. The prices of all
three lines varied over the years but at the end, the Collins was over
$3,000 and I don't think the SB's ever went over $400. $299 sticks
in my mind for the HW-101.

Old July 8th 07, 12:34 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

Don't forget the Drake TR3's & TR4's & the later Swans (500CX).
Excellent radios. I've had several of each & they perform well. You
can pick up a TR4 with PS for $250.

The Heath stuff will have variable build quality.

The KWM2's are overpriced (I have the KWM2-A).

Terry
W8EJO.

Old July 8th 07, 01:43 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

Beech Creek wrote:
I am interested in opinions as to the best tube-type transceiver ever
produced and why?

I know there will be lots of different opinions but I am interested in the
reasons behind these opinions.

Thanks!

Cal Barton
WB5CYS

Arguably, a late production Kenwood TS-830S might be considered, albeit
its a hybrid type radio. It has all the features that one might really
need and they still hold a reasonable value. With the '230 digital VFO
and some after market filters, the radio will provide excellent service.
The radio also can be serviced in the field, like their all-tube brethren.

Old July 8th 07, 01:44 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

Beech Creek wrote:
I am interested in opinions as to the best tube-type transceiver ever
produced and why?

PRC-8/9/10. There's just something so cute about all those little submini
tubes. And the RF performance isn't half bad.
--scott

WTB Old tube type Rx Ward Rehkopf Swap 0 April 21st 07 01:42 PM
FS: Tube type 6080WC $2.00 each W6KRC Swap 0 February 6th 06 06:37 PM
FA: Amplex Model "C" Tube Type Radio - Antique Type - Quite Old !LP Swap 0 October 9th 04 08:58 PM
FA: 6 Meter AM Transceiver Poly-Comm 6, Tube Type, Working Joe Bucher Boatanchors 0 September 23rd 04 04:12 AM
WTB: OLD Tube type UHF PA AL G. Swap 0 January 28th 04 12:38 AM