Old October 1st 07, 05:36 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

Default Dial backlash

My Drake 2B has a case of what I think is called backlash. If I move
the dial ever so slightly and let go of it the knob tries to return to
its original position. The vfo frequency does not seem to change very
much, not as much as the knob does. In other words I can tune in a
SSB station without much difficulty, but if I atttempt to make tiny
changes (to really fine tune the station perfectly) it is almost
impossible.
I don't see what causes this. I thought maybe it was due to sticking
in the vfo capacitor so I went in there and cleaned the bearings of it
- no help. I also cleaned the rail that the dial pointer rides on -
no help either. My thinking is that this is due to friction somewhere
but I can't seem to see where it might be dragging. Any ideas as to
what causes this? Thanks
73
RIck K2XT
Old October 2nd 07, 10:14 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

Rick,

I am not familiar with the 2B however I have found dial cords tend to
elasticize with age, stretching instead of driving the pulley assembly. If
the 2B uses a pulley/dial string arrangement you may fix the problem by
simply replacing the dial cord. I've experienced the same backlash effect
but it was remedied with fresh string.

I am almost embarrassed to suggest my other "fix" for the problem. Make
sure the skirt for your dial knob isn't rubbing the front panel. I'm sure
you've already done that and forgive me for suggesting otherwise.

Good luck.

W9STB

Old October 2nd 07, 10:46 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

If it's a dial cord problem (and by your description, it probably is),
go to:
http://bama.edebris.com/manuals/drake/2b/ This is a full receiver manual.
There's a page showing how to string the dial pointer and spindle cords.
To read the file, you'll have to download LizardTech's DejaVU program,
which is available at the site.

I was one of the many who owned a 2B and always regretted getting rid of
it...

--W9NPI

Old October 3rd 07, 03:07 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

Hi,

I had a similar problem with my Drake 2B, and figured it was due to dial
cord slippage.
I rubbed a stick of GC Electronics "Dial Cord Dressing",
part number 1212, on the dial cord, and the problem disappeared.

The product is like a sticky wax candle or crayon. I don't know
if they still manufacture it.

73,
Ed Knobloch

Old October 3rd 07, 09:13 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

In message GPCMi.4116$PV1.731@trndny08, Edward Knobloch
writes

Rick wrote:
My Drake 2B has a case of what I think is called backlash. If I move
the dial ever so slightly and let go of it the knob tries to return to
its original position. The vfo frequency does not seem to change very
much, not as much as the knob does. In other words I can tune in a
SSB station without much difficulty, but if I atttempt to make tiny
changes (to really fine tune the station perfectly) it is almost
impossible.

I had a similar problem with my Drake 2B, and figured it was due to
dial cord slippage.
I rubbed a stick of GC Electronics "Dial Cord Dressing",
part number 1212, on the dial cord, and the problem disappeared.

The product is like a sticky wax candle or crayon. I don't know
if they still manufacture it.

Would violin rosin/resin work?
--
Ian

Old October 3rd 07, 12:13 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

Rick wrote:

My Drake 2B has a case of what I think is called backlash. If I move
the dial ever so slightly and let go of it the knob tries to return to
its original position. The vfo frequency does not seem to change very
much, not as much as the knob does. In other words I can tune in a
SSB station without much difficulty, but if I atttempt to make tiny
changes (to really fine tune the station perfectly) it is almost
impossible.

I had a similar problem with my Drake 2B, and figured it was due to
dial cord slippage.
I rubbed a stick of GC Electronics "Dial Cord Dressing",
part number 1212, on the dial cord, and the problem disappeared.

The product is like a sticky wax candle or crayon. I don't know
if they still manufacture it.

Would violin rosin/resin work?

It might work. I remember reading a tip ( I think in Pop Electronics
'way back) to use the rosin flux residue from rosin core solder.
Old October 3rd 07, 03:49 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

Edward Knobloch wrote:

Hi,

I had a similar problem with my Drake 2B, and figured it was due to dial
cord slippage.
I rubbed a stick of GC Electronics "Dial Cord Dressing",
part number 1212, on the dial cord, and the problem disappeared.

The product is like a sticky wax candle or crayon. I don't know
if they still manufacture it.

At Sony we used beeswax which is what the GC dressing is. Your wife may
have some in her sewing basket, or you can get it anywhere where they
sell thread.

Irv VE6BP
Old October 7th 07, 10:53 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

At Sony we used beeswax which is what the GC dressing is. Your wife may
have some in her sewing basket, or you can get it anywhere where they
sell thread.

I read once in an antique radio restoration article in _Hands-On
Electronics_ about using stick paraffin for just such an occurrence. I've
never tried it myself, but it may be easier to get.

Matt J. McCullar, KJ5BA