Old November 10th 07, 09:15 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

Default Best National receiver = ?

Which is the best of the old boat anchor National receivers of the NC-xxx
(188, etc.) vintage, for SSB, AM, and CW? Would like something with a
product detector for best results on SSB.

Thanks...

Old November 11th 07, 01:29 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

"Rick (W-A-one-R-K-T)" wrote in message
news

Which is the best of the old boat anchor National receivers of the NC-xxx
(188, etc.) vintage, for SSB, AM, and CW? Would like something with a
product detector for best results on SSB.

Thanks...

A product detector rules out a lot of the older classics, unfortunately
But, like Ron mentioned, the NC300 series were very nice receivers, although
a bit big (they used a much larger cabinet than needed for what is inside.)

Pete

Old November 11th 07, 01:48 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

The NC-300 and NC-303 are pretty good receiveirs, and have product
detectors. They are ham band only, though. A plus is that they cover 160 -
which the Collins do not.

I had an NC-109, which is a NC-188 with a product detector. I like mediocre
receivers if they have redeeming value (such as ugly, simple or cheap.
Unfortunatley, the NC-109 is mediocre with no redeeming value. It was so
ordinary I could not stand to have it sitting on the shelf, and sold it at a
swap meet.

The NC-400 is a very nice unit. There are many older HRO units around.
They are marvelous - and you can add a product detector to them.

Colin K7FM

Old November 11th 07, 02:10 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

"Uncle Peter" ) writes:
"Rick (W-A-one-R-K-T)" wrote in message
news

Which is the best of the old boat anchor National receivers of the NC-xxx
(188, etc.) vintage, for SSB, AM, and CW? Would like something with a
product detector for best results on SSB.

Thanks...

A product detector rules out a lot of the older classics, unfortunately
But, like Ron mentioned, the NC300 series were very nice receivers, although
a bit big (they used a much larger cabinet than needed for what is inside.)

But there were all those mods to fix up the NC-300, which is interesting
because wasn't that the receiver National ran a campaign to collect ideas
on what "your best receiver would have..."?

I recall one article by Hank Cross, W1OOP, who said the receiver was
almost great for SSB but not quite, and then proceeded to show modifications
that would fix it.

Most of the National receivers were old school, ie not set up specifically
for SSB.

Michael VE2BVW

Old November 13th 07, 10:12 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

Rick,

I'm not a ham but Dad was, I'm just a real serious DX'er and boatanchor
collector.

These are my pics....

NC-183D (dad swore by it that it was the best ever made)

NC-173 (they took it on an epic ocean voyage for a reason)

NC-88 ...easiest to come by in good shape

Thanks for letting me have my input

Old November 16th 07, 12:12 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
RdM RdM is offline

(Michael Black) in
rec.radio.amateur.boatanchorsfh5oad$kod$1@theodyn .ncf.ca:
"Uncle Peter" ) writes:
[...]

As an intending come-back ham, from teenage 60's to now, and having acquired a
NCX-3 transceiver;- a dream machine of the original era, for which I need to
build a PSU, and a Yaesu ftdx400 waiting complete! - can anybody with
knowledge compare the receiver section of the NCX-3 with their receivers?

(Or comment otherwise;-?) (mods?) [I do need to relube the planetary drive!]
(I've looked at the relevant mentioned at rigpix.com, but am no wiser ...)

Thanks!

Ross, ZL1RDM in nz not zz!
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Members/Pro...?member=508061