Old February 9th 08, 04:23 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

Default Hammarlund Hq 180 questions

I recently acquired a fairly decent Hq 180 for a good price on
ebay.The issues I have with it are slight rust on the front panel and
chassis.What are the best ways to repair this damage?
Some one emailed me a infor on a person that could resilkscreen the
front panel but the 300.00 price was out of my budget.Also
electrically the receiver appears to receive very well except on the
top band background noise al most drops to nothing and signals jump
out of a very quiet background.Is this normal for this receiver?
All voltages and tubes have been checked and are in spec.
Thanks in advance for any replies.
Kb4cjd
Thomas

Old February 11th 08, 04:08 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

Tomas, top band sensitivity was a problem on many receivers of the
era. What I did to improve mine was to add an Ameco Nuvistor preamp.
It made a great difference. Mine had a built in power supply but some
versions didn't. They are still available used and I -think- Ameco
still makes them.
73 Gary

Old February 11th 08, 10:27 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

Those nuvistor preamps were really good for giving an old receiver some
extra gain. The HQ-180 should have quite a bit of gain, even on the top
band. It sounds like your unit needs a bit of work. I have had a 180 in the
past, and even with no antenna, the internal noise is quite loud. It does
become even louder when you connect the antenna. It could be alignment,
replacing of the cathode bypass caps, a bias resistor that has drifted out
of tolerance, a weak tube/tubes, etc.

Pete

Hammarlund HQ-170 wb5kcm Boatanchors 25 February 20th 07 01:07 AM
FS: Hammarlund HQ-160 K3HVG Boatanchors 0 October 17th 06 07:25 PM
FS: Hammarlund BC-779 JRS Boatanchors 0 February 23rd 05 01:01 AM
WTT: Hammarlund HQ-160 for ?? Phil Nelson Boatanchors 1 February 13th 04 12:17 AM
BEWARE SPENDING TIME ANSWERING QUESTIONS HERE (WAS Electronic Questions) CW Antenna 1 September 5th 03 06:20 PM