Old March 6th 08, 12:46 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

Default Kenwood TS-511s

Hi, acquired a ts-511s with power supply and cant find much info.
all cleaned up and working with one minor bug to fix.
not a keeper for me, just curious that I havent run across any for sale
on the auction sites or info when googling, so dont know how to price it
if and when i fix the remaining problem. ie: on 75 meters only after 20
minutes
75 loses xmt and receive functions, all others work fine , full output etc.
tnx Jim kw3u

Old March 6th 08, 05:55 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

Jade's Tech Services wrote:
Hi, acquired a ts-511s with power supply and cant find much info.
all cleaned up and working with one minor bug to fix.
not a keeper for me, just curious that I havent run across any for sale
on the auction sites or info when googling, so dont know how to price it
if and when i fix the remaining problem. ie: on 75 meters only after 20
minutes
75 loses xmt and receive functions, all others work fine , full output etc.
tnx Jim kw3u

Check out eHam.net boatanchor forum. I gather that this is
an early version of the TS-520, a hybrid using final
amplifier sweep tubes to generate 500 pep. If it's got the
same guts as a 520, it should be a hot one for receive
sensitivity/selectivity/stability. omeone compared it to a
TR-4CW... One sold in 2006 on eHam.net classifieds for $300,
including PS, extra for shipping.

afcsman

Old March 8th 08, 11:05 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

Jim...I have a 511S.
I did a review on eham on it a long time ago.
It is kind-of a sleeper.
As you know, it is not a version of the 520...it is an all tube rig, with
good frequency readout, CW filter, and nice sounding audio.
.....Dave

Old March 15th 08, 05:39 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

Dave , tnx, my ts511s has the various boards with a mixture of tubes
and transistors, maybe 8 to 10 tubes, 6lq6 finals and 6kg5 driver.
an interesting fix - It had one problem after 20 minutes the 80 meter band
would go dead on xmt and receive, i cleaned all contacts bandswitches with
no help, when a replacement 6gk5 arrived for the low emission one, i
replaced
it and now everything works fine. The readout is analog, dont know if there
was a digital model, however found references to a ts510 and a ts515 model.
awesome receiver.
will be taking to the cherryville NJ hamfest april 5th.
interested folks can contact me at for info.
tnx jim kw3u

. ..