Old April 24th 08, 03:28 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

Default Cleaning Equipment exposed to tobacco smoke

Chuck Harris wrote:
One thing, from the ingredient list I posted earlier is Formula 409
contains Butyl Cellosolve. This is terrible stuff on plastics. It is
what turns clear plastic molded meter windows foggy. I would not use
Formula 409, or any other cleaner that contains Butyl Cellosolve on
plastics of any sort. The stuff soaks into the plastic and makes it
sticky and soft... sort of a plasticizer.

It's fine on most plastics. It's a disaster on others, most notably
phenolics. It will etch the hell out of bakelite and leave you an ugly
dull surface. Test before using.
--scott
Old April 24th 08, 04:34 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

Scott Dorsey wrote:
Chuck Harris wrote:
One thing, from the ingredient list I posted earlier is Formula 409
contains Butyl Cellosolve. This is terrible stuff on plastics. It is
what turns clear plastic molded meter windows foggy. I would not use
Formula 409, or any other cleaner that contains Butyl Cellosolve on
plastics of any sort. The stuff soaks into the plastic and makes it
sticky and soft... sort of a plasticizer.

It's fine on most plastics. It's a disaster on others, most notably
phenolics. It will etch the hell out of bakelite and leave you an ugly
dull surface. Test before using.
--scott

Ford cars all come with warnings not to use cleaners containing
butyl cellosolve on, or around the instrument panel. They tell of the
damage they will cause to the speedometer window... And I have ignored the
warning with 409, and other glass cleaners, and fogged the dash windows.

I used to use 409 as a general cleaning agent on surplus test equipment,
until I started to notice that I was ending up with power cords that
became sticky, plastic tote handles that became sticky, and wrinkle paint
that became softened and sticky. All anecdotal evidence, I know, but
much of this equipment survived 20 years before my cleaning them with
409 without these failures occurring.

Butyl cellosolve is used because it is an incredible penetrating agent.
It burrows deeply into grease and grime, and softens it so that normal
detergents can wash it away. It also does this to many plastics and
rubbers. I believe that clear plastics that are polystyrene based are
particularly affected by 409.

If you do use 409, always rinse it away with water, never just spray
and wipe, as the manufacturer recommends.

Isopropyl alcohol is a great solvent for cleaning, but it too can cause
problems with some plastics. Never leave acrylics soaking in isopropyl,
as it will cause them to form deep cracks without ever softening the
plastic.

-Chuck
Old April 25th 08, 02:27 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

Scott Dorsey wrote:

It's 2-butoxyethanol, with a little soap and water and a pH buffer to keep it
alkaline. In the US, you can buy commercial degreasers with much higher
2-butoxyethanol content (Ace Hardware sells something by the gallon that is
almost half 2-butoxyethanol), but 409 is plenty strong.

It's a good solvent for anything greasy or oily.
--scott

Scott and others

Thanks for the info - sounds fine for greasy metalwork but not plastics,
paint or rubber.

Simon
Old April 25th 08, 08:52 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

"Simon" wrote in message
Scott Dorsey wrote:

It's 2-butoxyethanol, with a little soap and water and a
pH buffer to keep it
alkaline. In the US, you can buy commercial degreasers
with much higher 2-butoxyethanol content (Ace Hardware
sells something by the gallon that is almost half
2-butoxyethanol), but 409 is plenty strong.

It's a good solvent for anything greasy or oily.
--scott

Scott and others

Thanks for the info - sounds fine for greasy metalwork but
not plastics, paint or rubber.

Simon

Again liquid diswashing detergent works well and is
pretty harmless. It should remove tobacco residue but may
need some time or several treatments.

--
---
Richard Knoppow

Old April 25th 08, 09:46 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

Thank You One & All for your many suggestions.
Will evaluate them all and sincerly appreciate your taking the time to offer
your suggestions.
I've got more than ONE old unit to restore...seems to be a passion lately,
after 40 years in Amateur Radio! Guess I have to use all the tubes I've
accumulated Hi!
73....Norm VE3CZI

"K3HVG" wrote in message
Norm VE3CZI wrote:
I recently acquired a nice 1950 shortwave receiver but has been exposed
to a tobacco smoker during it's existance.
Anyone have good method of removing the film without damaging decals on
front panel?

Tnx...Norm VE3CZI

I'll second the motion of others with the use of 409 or Fantastic. Where I
do NOT use these cleaners is on the inner frequency calibration dials of
most equipment. For these, I use warm water and perhaps a bit of diluted
dish detergent. Another step I use is to wax the front panel with Turtle
Wax to get a uniform finish. Do this before reinstalling all the knobs.
For wrinkle cabinets, etc., Armour All does quite well.

de K3HVG

Old May 3rd 08, 10:31 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

THE BEST I HAVE EVER FOUND IS "GO-JOE" OR SIMILAR SUGAR BEET BASED HAND
CLEANER. IT WON'T HURT ANYTHING, ITS SUPERB FOR CLEANING WRINKLE OR
SIMILIAR FINISHES TOO. IT WAS THE ONLY THING THAT WAS USED IN AN
AIRLINE AVIONICS LAB WERE I WORKED SOME 45 YEARS AGO. WAOABI

CHECK MY WEBSITE: www.dialcover.com
Bill Turner, excuse caps, short answers, stroke.