Old May 23rd 08, 01:32 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

Default RBM receiver, help please

I am working over a Navy RBM receiver (the HF version) that I got at a
swap meet some years ago. It has zero value as a collector's item as
some previous owner (perhaps even the U.S. Gov.) was nice enough to
remove all the nameplates except the list of patents! I have the manual
for the "RBM, RBM1, RBM2 and RBM3" and this has all the necessary
diagrams, part lists and alignment info. It does not, however, give any
indication of how the different versions (1, 2, 3 and higher) differed.
Can anyone give me a brief overview on this question? My version, if
this is worth anything, has the big letters on the dials ("T" for tune,
"B" for band, etc. I'm trying to figure out what version this is ....
Old May 23rd 08, 02:25 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

Jim Mandaville wrote:
I am working over a Navy RBM receiver (the HF version) that I got at a
swap meet some years ago. It has zero value as a collector's item as
some previous owner (perhaps even the U.S. Gov.) was nice enough to
remove all the nameplates except the list of patents! I have the manual
for the "RBM, RBM1, RBM2 and RBM3" and this has all the necessary
diagrams, part lists and alignment info. It does not, however, give any
indication of how the different versions (1, 2, 3 and higher) differed.
Can anyone give me a brief overview on this question? My version, if
this is worth anything, has the big letters on the dials ("T" for tune,
"B" for band, etc. I'm trying to figure out what version this is ....

Jim, Do you subscribe to Electric Radio magazine? There's an article
in a back issue that I did a few years ago that describes the various
RBM and RBS variants. I'll try and locate my original manuscripts
and/or scan the pages. It may help you do an ident. BTW, does the
receiver have large lettering on 4 knob faces on the front panel? If
so, its an RBS, vice an RBM.

de Jeep/K3HVG

Old May 29th 08, 02:48 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

On May 22, 8:32 pm, Jim Mandaville wrote:
I am working over a Navy RBM receiver (the HF version) that I got at a
swap meet some years ago. It has zero value as a collector's item as
some previous owner (perhaps even the U.S. Gov.) was nice enough to
remove all the nameplates except the list of patents! I have the manual
for the "RBM, RBM1, RBM2 and RBM3" and this has all the necessary
diagrams, part lists and alignment info. It does not, however, give any
indication of how the different versions (1, 2, 3 and higher) differed.
Can anyone give me a brief overview on this question? My version, if
this is worth anything, has the big letters on the dials ("T" for tune,
"B" for band, etc. I'm trying to figure out what version this is ....

Seems from what I can find, the -4 RBM was the .2-2.0mcs version & the
-5 was the 2.0-20mcs version.
I have the -5 with those large engraved letters on the knobs.
Thankfully I also have the AC power supply es cable.
Someday I gotta bring it up on a Variac es see how she plays:-)
Old May 29th 08, 02:56 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

On May 22, 9:25 pm, k3hvg wrote:
Jim Mandaville wrote:
[...]

ok jeep;
I went & checked my name plate.
I had said RBM when you were right, it is an RBS.
My plate is marked CCT-46217, made by stromberg carlson.
GL.........

Old May 29th 08, 07:15 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

Richie wrote:
[...]

Richie, The RBS and the RBM both had their respective LF and MF
versions in each dash series. Hopefully, the table below will come
across OK.

RBM,-1,2,3 Medium Frequency Receiver CCT-46076
RBM-4 Medium Frequency Receiver CCT/CAY-46076
RBM-5 Medium Frequency Receiver CAY-46076-A
RBM, -1,2,3 High Frequency Receiver CCT-46077
RBM-4 High Frequency Receiver CCT/CAY-46077
RBM-5 High Frequency Receiver CAY-46077-A
RBS-1 High Frequency Receiver CCT-46217
RBS-1 Medium Frequency Receiver CCT-46216
RBS-2 High Frequency Receiver CCT-46217-A
RBS-2 Medium Frequency Receiver CCT-46216-A

de Jeep/K3HVG

Old May 30th 08, 03:12 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

On May 29, 2:15 pm, k3hvg wrote:
Richie wrote:
[...]

Hi Jeep;
Tnx for that info.
Why did they make everything so complicated, hi!
There must not be many around because I have never seen any except the
one I have.
Been interested in old BA's since 1960, only one i've seen is mine:-)
73.......
Rich
Old May 31st 08, 08:02 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

On Thu, 29 May 2008 19:12:43 -0700 (PDT), Richie
wrote:

There must not be many around because I have never seen any except the
one I have.
Been interested in old BA's since 1960, only one i've seen is mine:-)

I have an RBM-5 high-frequency receiver. Never thought of it as being
any more rare than, say a TCS-12 set. Are they? Or maybe you're
referring to the RBS...

Mine was one of the first decent SWL radios I ever got, back in high
school. It was immediately preceeded by an RAO-3 (NC-100, sorta).
Still have them both, and wouldn't part with either, although it's
been so long since either one has been powered up that I'd need to
recap them first. I lost the power transformer in a low-freq RAL-7
supply a few years ago for failing to do that. I miss the blue glow of
the giant ballast tube in that one

Dale
Old May 31st 08, 07:52 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

Hi Jeep;
Tnx for that info.
Why did they make everything so complicated, hi!
There must not be many around because I have never seen any except the
one I have.
Been interested in old BA's since 1960, only one i've seen is mine:-)
73.......
Rich

These receivers seem to appear in batches. I acquired 6 of them over
about an 18 month period via the hamfests and Ebay. Four of them were
RBMs and two where RBSs. I have kept a complete RBM setup with racks,
power supplies, and the receiver/transmitter control box. What I didn't
know was there was the RBS-3 version until late in my collection. The
very late models were made by a third company, the name of which slips
my mind. The cases were a two-tone affair; gray with black panel
overlay. Some Navy overhauled units were also painted gray and had Type
N antenna connectors installed. Those with SO-239s are Ham mods, for
sure. Having said all the above.... I've only seen a couple on Ebay and
none at the hamfests in the past several years