Old June 3rd 08, 01:23 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

Default HQ-145/Worth Recapping?

I have heard that there are very few electrolytic capacitors in this
machine, as most of them are ceramic disk. The only ones are in a can
on the chassis. If the radio is working well as original, would it be
better to just leave well enough alone? I always try to live by the
maxim: If it ain't broke.....
Thanks,
Bob Grimes

Old June 3rd 08, 01:47 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

Find something else that is broken and needs fixing.

You have a problem - you do not have enough radios that need repair. In
short, you have not done your part to rescue old radios.

Once you have a pile of old radios that do not work, because someone twisted
all the if adjustments until they failed, or used Windex to clean all the
lettering off the dial, you will not have enough time to recap a radio that
is working fine.

In fact, you will not even have room on your bench for a working radio, nor
have time to enjoy them.

Colin K7FM

Old June 3rd 08, 02:01 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

On Tue, 3 Jun 2008 12:47:16 UTC, "COLIN LAMB"
wrote:

Find something else that is broken and needs fixing.

You have a problem - you do not have enough radios that need repair. In
short, you have not done your part to rescue old radios.

Once you have a pile of old radios that do not work, because someone twisted
all the if adjustments until they failed, or used Windex to clean all the
lettering off the dial, you will not have enough time to recap a radio that
is working fine.

In fact, you will not even have room on your bench for a working radio, nor
have time to enjoy them.

Colin K7FM

What the hell are you talking about? I have two old radios that I
recapped: an S-38 and an HE-10. I was told by several boatanchor
owners that this particular Hammarlund would not need a recap as most
of them were ceramic disk with no black beauties. What are you on?
This sounds like some rant against the man? I just wanted good radio
advice!

Old June 3rd 08, 03:09 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

Bob,
I think someone was having a bad day...maybe
a pile of radios fell of the bench onto his foot. ;-)

The only danger of not replacing the filter caps is that
it'll short and fry your power transformer. Add an appropriate
size fuse, which is a good idea for any old radio anyway.
Replace the filter when it finally dies.
Thats what I usually do unless its a high end radio.
Steve

Old June 3rd 08, 03:18 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

Count Floyd wrote:
I have heard that there are very few electrolytic capacitors in this
machine, as most of them are ceramic disk. The only ones are in a can
on the chassis. If the radio is working well as original, would it be
better to just leave well enough alone? I always try to live by the
maxim: If it ain't broke.....
Thanks,
Bob Grimes

Sometimes yes but often times, no. In certain circuits, a capacitor
failure may precipitate another component failure that is either
difficult or impossible to find, e.g.: IF cans and power transformers.
Oft times its far better to apply some preventative maintenance than to
wait for an inevitable, and perhaps catastrophic, failure.

de K3HVG

Old June 3rd 08, 04:04 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

wrote:

[...]

You also need to examine your sense of humor level. It appear to be low.

Old June 3rd 08, 04:29 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

wrote:

[...]

Truly.

Is there any one of us that hasn't noticed that collecting old radios is an
insatiable hunger. We are always trying to re-find the excitement we got when
we found the first gem we longed for... But alas, you can be a virgin only once.

-Chuck
Old June 3rd 08, 04:38 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

Count Floyd wrote:
I have heard that there are very few electrolytic capacitors in this
machine, as most of them are ceramic disk. The only ones are in a can
on the chassis. If the radio is working well as original, would it be
better to just leave well enough alone? I always try to live by the
maxim: If it ain't broke.....

I'd power it up on a variac, and if it powers up properly and the supply
voltages are okay, I'd leave it.

If the supply voltages are NOT okay, I'd change the supply caps immediately
before you ruin the power transformer.
--scott
Old June 3rd 08, 04:39 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

wrote:

[...]

His advice was good: get a lot more old beat-up radios and then you will
not have time to worry about minor issues like the possibility of bad
supply caps in an HQ-145.
--scott

Old June 3rd 08, 04:41 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

Chuck Harris wrote:

Is there any one of us that hasn't noticed that collecting old radios is an
insatiable hunger. We are always trying to re-find the excitement we got when
we found the first gem we longed for... But alas, you can be a virgin only once.

Not at all. There is your first ARC-5 set, your first GRR-9, your first
Racal.

Hell, every time I open up the R-390 and look inside, I feel like someone
has just taken my virginity...
--scott

recapping Hallicrafters S-38B question [email protected] Boatanchors 3 February 5th 06 10:33 PM
Old DX-160 - basic alignment and recapping (if necessary) Brian Hill Shortwave 8 February 23rd 05 06:16 PM
Recapping a HQ129-X G.Beat Boatanchors 1 August 28th 04 10:42 AM
FS: Worth-More 600 SS AMP kf5kf Equipment 0 July 14th 04 07:40 AM
Recapping a valuable radio? starman Boatanchors 20 January 23rd 04 10:23 PM