Old July 12th 08, 07:25 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
A A is offline

Default FYI, FWIW..the Grundig G5 SWL receiver

On Sat, 12 Jul 2008, Richie wrote:

On Jul 11, 9:15 pm, A wrote:
On Thu, 10 Jul 2008, Jim, K7JEB wrote:
On Jul 10, 10:07 am, A wrote:
Yesterday I bought, from a local Radio Shack, a Grundig
G5 SWL receiverand found myself quite pleased with it and
decided to share this with y'all. $150....

Richie wrote:
I cannot understand why you changed the heading and not just start
your own posting to advertise this SS, modern receiver on the
Boatanchors forum?

It's the kind of receiver boatanchor guys like to have around
when they are not up to hauling the vacuum-tube beasties out
on a picnic but want to listen-in to the nightly cacophony on
80 meters??

Jim, K7JEB

Jim, I interpret your comments as seeing what I was trying to do...just
share that this would be a nice little receiver with serious
enough capability for a range of capability including "reading the mail"
on ham bands. If I were to guess what is bothering Richie, it is that some
newsreaders and news handling services handle some posts based on internal
ID numbers rather than subject lines and other ISP services handle these
the other way around. I have no idea why people get bent out of shape so
much if something shows up in their thread that makes no sense because
their service holds a post in a thread even though the subject line
changes.

I am still tickled to pieces with my G5. Almost fee like a kid, again,
with a precious new toy.

Hi A;
I have no problem with reading your info about this receiver & cud
care less where you posted it.
Each to thier own.
I just figured you'd get more exposure iffin you started your own post
& not dump on some one else's is all.

Well, I did partly explain in my most recent comments that how the
internet and newsreader software and news servers operate is not uniform.
If you have a threading newsreader, then the post MIGHT stay in someone's
thread. If you don't have a threading newsreader, then the post will
appear under its own title (which I used). And, in some replies, people
sometimes edit out the crossposts but sometimes do and sometimes don't
know they are doing that because there may be defaults beyond their
control. What I recall doing was take someone elses already listed
crosspost and edit the subject line. That SHOULD have dumped it outside of
the thread, but not in all cases.

No Harm done.

Some harm is done when people reply to one post in a thread and don't
include enough of what they are responding to to tell what the reply is
replying to. I am never bothered by almost anything on NGs anymore.
Everyone has their own "standards" and a lot of people like to play
"policeman" however. For a lot of NGs out there, the quality of material
coming out these days is a lot poorer than 10-15 years ago, too.

I have a few Older SS SW receivers that I use also like my CRF-150
Sony, its big enough to almost qualify as BA Status, hi!

I happen to have a lot of nostalgia for "classic" stuff, but at my age,
size, weight, and convenience cause me to "rather switch than fight" (if
you get my drift). Otherwise, 73.

Rich

Old July 20th 08, 02:03 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
A A is offline

On Fri, 18 Jul 2008, Dan, W2IQD wrote:

A wrote:

I am still tickled to pieces with my G5. Almost fee like a kid, again,
with a precious new toy.

Many thanks for your post! I've been looking around for a decent rx just
like this that doesnt cost a fortune or weigh 100 pounds. I'm going to buy
one tomorrow!

73,

Dan

I'm glad someone out there (you) felt that my enthusiastic report was
worth something.

73
Old July 20th 08, 07:47 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

A wrote:
I am still tickled to pieces with my G5. Almost fee like a kid, again,
with a precious new toy.

Here's an addendum to that: Craig at Kiwa Electronics advises
me that the later G5 models have factory-installed ESD-arrester
diodes installed across the built-in, telescoping-whip antenna,
eliminating a big concern of mine about the unit. I had him
order one for me with instructions to do the ESD mod and the
audio mod. He only did the audio mod, and advised me via E-mail
of this change. Looking forward to receiving the unit and
seeing (hearing) for myself what all the fuss is about.

Jim, K7JEB