Old October 18th 08, 06:40 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

Default boatanchors in movies

I just watched a movie called "Across the Pacific" (1942) with Humphrey
Bogart and at the end of the movie there was a hallicrafters SX-11 or 12 in
the scene where they are at the plantation. A lot of old Bogart movies have
cool radios in them. I've also seen a SX-42 in "Sabrina" and a Hallicrafters
marine radio phone in "Key Largo" .

--
Regards
B.H.

Brian's Radio Universe
http://webpages.charter.net/brianhill/500.htm

Old October 18th 08, 09:16 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

"Brian Hill" wrote in message
I just watched a movie called "Across the Pacific" (1942)
with Humphrey Bogart and at the end of the movie there was
a hallicrafters SX-11 or 12 in the scene where they are at
the plantation. A lot of old Bogart movies have cool radios
in them. I've also seen a SX-42 in "Sabrina" and a
Hallicrafters marine radio phone in "Key Largo" .

--
Regards
B.H.
Hill Amplification
http://hillamplification.com

Brian's Radio Universe
http://webpages.charter.net/brianhill/500.htm

Hallicrafters stuff seems to have been popular as
props. I've seen S-38, S-40, etc., in various films
particularly from the late 1940's and 1950s. Perhaps this
was due to the art deco cabinet designs. Hallicrafters seems
to have been aware from a very early point that appearance
and features sell even when performance may be mediocre. Its
also possible that their promotion people may have "placed"
H equipment in movies.

Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA

Old October 19th 08, 09:01 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

"Brian Hill" wrote in message
I just watched a movie called "Across the Pacific" (1942) with Humphrey
Bogart and at the end of the movie there was a hallicrafters SX-11 or 12

in
the scene where they are at the plantation. A lot of old Bogart movies

have
cool radios in them. I've also seen a SX-42 in "Sabrina" and a

Hallicrafters
marine radio phone in "Key Largo" .

Sure, there are some Hallicrafters radios in the Hollywood A movies. But it
seems like one out of three of the cheesy low-budget sci-fi movies from the
50s had at least one. One of the journey to the center of the earth movies
had two, one modified with a piece of paper to serve as an indicator of the
mileage from the earth's surface.

There's a 50s Dragnet episode which shows a s-38 stacked on top of a S-40.
At the time I saw it, I had my radios stacked the same way -- more than
fifty years later!

Frank Dresser

Old October 19th 08, 03:37 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

Frank Dresser wrote:

Sure, there are some Hallicrafters radios in the Hollywood A movies. But it
seems like one out of three of the cheesy low-budget sci-fi movies from the
50s had at least one. One of the journey to the center of the earth movies
had two, one modified with a piece of paper to serve as an indicator of the
mileage from the earth's surface.

Oh, the boatanchor tradition in films continues on and on. Even on TV,
too. Watch episodes of Alf where he uses a Heathkit product to contact
his home planet.

There's a 50s Dragnet episode which shows a s-38 stacked on top of a S-40.
At the time I saw it, I had my radios stacked the same way -- more than
fifty years later!

It's a good combination.... much nicer than that Heathkit.

Oh, and if you like military boatanchors, watch Mission to Burma. Lots of
different field radios on display, from the PRC-6 on up.
--scott
Old October 19th 08, 04:50 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

You can see command sets in several WW II movies. I recently saw
12'o Clock High and there is a brief scene where they are shown in
a rack. Of course the movie was made in 1948/9 when there were
still a lot of flying B-17s as orignally equipped. After the war, a
lot of those got converted for ham use. In the Mid 1950's a buddy had
a command set receiver which he and I used as Novices in the
Sweepstakes contest.

Trying to do the Sweepstakes on crystal control in the Novice bands,
of course presented its own set of challenges. We did much better
the following year when we had a new Hammarlund and a transmitter
with VFO control.

Jon W3JT (but KN9CAH/K9CAH in those days. My buddy was K9DGE,
now W6BSF.)

Old October 19th 08, 05:08 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

"Jon Teske" wrote in message
You can see command sets in several WW II movies. I
recently saw
12'o Clock High and there is a brief scene where they are
shown in
a rack. Of course the movie was made in 1948/9 when there
were
still a lot of flying B-17s as orignally equipped. After
the war, a
lot of those got converted for ham use.

How do you convert a B-17 for ham use?

Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles
WB6KBL

Old October 19th 08, 05:40 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

Richard Knoppow wrote:
"Jon Teske" wrote in message
You can see command sets in several WW II movies. I
recently saw
12'o Clock High and there is a brief scene where they are
shown in
a rack. Of course the movie was made in 1948/9 when there
were
still a lot of flying B-17s as orignally equipped. After
the war, a
lot of those got converted for ham use.

How do you convert a B-17 for ham use?

Spend a lot of MONEY, a LOT.
Old October 19th 08, 06:28 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

"Richard Knoppow" wrote in message

How do you convert a B-17 for ham use?

Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles
WB6KBL

Ever seen a pig fly? : )

Old October 19th 08, 09:09 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

On Sun, 19 Oct 2008, Richard Knoppow wrote:

"Jon Teske" wrote in message
You can see command sets in several WW II movies. I
recently saw
12'o Clock High and there is a brief scene where they are
shown in
a rack. Of course the movie was made in 1948/9 when there
were
still a lot of flying B-17s as orignally equipped. After
the war, a
lot of those got converted for ham use.

How do you convert a B-17 for ham use?

You make sure the equipment works on the ham bands, and if
not, put in ham equipment, making sure there is a suitable
power supply to run off the presumably 400Hz AC already in
the aircraft. You'd also need a pilot's license, and given
the size of the thing, and wanting to operate the radios,
likely you need someone willing to be the pilot while you
play with the radios.

It might make a good club project. There used to be articles
about various ham clubs converting trailers and even milk vans
into stations for remote operating, field day and public service
and even emergencies. That way you get the labor to do the
restoration, and share the costs, and get enough "staff"
to keep the plane going and in the air.

I can't picture a B-17. Was it a common one, or one that
was so large that they never made many?

I can imagine if it was a common plane, that after the
war many did land in private hands, and given how cheap
surplus was, maybe even a ham did have one at one point.

Michael VE2BVW

Old October 19th 08, 11:19 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

"Brian Hill" wrote in :

I just watched a movie called "Across the Pacific" (1942) with
Humphrey Bogart and at the end of the movie there was a hallicrafters
SX-11 or 12 in the scene where they are at the plantation. A lot of
old Bogart movies have cool radios in them. I've also seen a SX-42 in
"Sabrina" and a Hallicrafters marine radio phone in "Key Largo" .

In "Return To Mayberry" there is an S-38 beside Barney's desk.