Old October 19th 08, 09:09 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

Default boatanchors in movies

On Sun, 19 Oct 2008, Richard Knoppow wrote:

"Jon Teske" wrote in message
You can see command sets in several WW II movies. I
recently saw
12'o Clock High and there is a brief scene where they are
shown in
a rack. Of course the movie was made in 1948/9 when there
were
still a lot of flying B-17s as orignally equipped. After
the war, a
lot of those got converted for ham use.

How do you convert a B-17 for ham use?

You make sure the equipment works on the ham bands, and if
not, put in ham equipment, making sure there is a suitable
power supply to run off the presumably 400Hz AC already in
the aircraft. You'd also need a pilot's license, and given
the size of the thing, and wanting to operate the radios,
likely you need someone willing to be the pilot while you
play with the radios.

It might make a good club project. There used to be articles
about various ham clubs converting trailers and even milk vans
into stations for remote operating, field day and public service
and even emergencies. That way you get the labor to do the
restoration, and share the costs, and get enough "staff"
to keep the plane going and in the air.

I can't picture a B-17. Was it a common one, or one that
was so large that they never made many?

I can imagine if it was a common plane, that after the
war many did land in private hands, and given how cheap
surplus was, maybe even a ham did have one at one point.

Michael VE2BVW

Old October 19th 08, 10:27 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

"Michael Black" wrote in message

I can't picture a B-17. Was it a common one, or one that
was so large that they never made many?

I can imagine if it was a common plane, that after the
war many did land in private hands, and given how cheap
surplus was, maybe even a ham did have one at one point.

Michael VE2BVW

The B-17 Flying Fortress was one of the most successful bombers of WWII.
Almost 13,000 were built.

--
Regards
B.H.

Brian's Radio Universe
http://webpages.charter.net/brianhill/500.htm

Old October 19th 08, 11:19 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

"Brian Hill" wrote in :

I just watched a movie called "Across the Pacific" (1942) with
Humphrey Bogart and at the end of the movie there was a hallicrafters
SX-11 or 12 in the scene where they are at the plantation. A lot of
old Bogart movies have cool radios in them. I've also seen a SX-42 in
"Sabrina" and a Hallicrafters marine radio phone in "Key Largo" .

In "Return To Mayberry" there is an S-38 beside Barney's desk.
Old October 19th 08, 11:44 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

"Jon Teske" wrote in message
[...]

No, it wasn't to common. They only made 10 or 15 thousand of the things
before they became obsolete and were scrapped.

Seriously, the B-17 was known as the Flying Fortress and was used
extensively by the 8th US Air Force during WW II. Other theaters of
operation also saw the B-17 but to a lesser extent.

As for a Ham having a B-17 I guess that Gen. Curtis Lemay of the
Strategic Air Command qualifies. He used his personal SSB transceiver as
a proof of concept radio to demonstrate that world wide communications
could be achieved using SSB. He operated all the way across the Atlantic
Ocean from North America to England with out loss of communications with
Offet AFB using SSB. Using AM radio this was impossible under normal
operating conditions. The USAF still uses SSB for it's long distance
comms, at least when it is not using satellite comms.

Dave WD9BDZ
Old October 20th 08, 12:37 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

ample.net...

"Jon Teske" wrote in message
[...]

Sic transit gloria mundi! The B-17 "Flying Fortress"
was a very famous aircraft, a heavy bomber used extensively
by the USAAF in the European theater. It, and the B-24
"Liberator" were the backbone of the air command operations.
There are examples of both in flying condition still in
existence. Worth looking at if they come to visit. No
creature comforts whatever and air crews often spent most of
their time in them. Both aircraft were built in very large
numbers and had reputations for being extremely rugged.
Original radio equipment was minimal and much of it still
exists and some is in use (on the ground) by amateurs. Most
WW-2 aircraft were unceremoniously scrapped after the war.
It is now difficult to find examples of airplanes built in
quantities of many thousands.

Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA

Old October 20th 08, 04:05 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

In article , elaich wrote:

In "Return To Mayberry" there is an S-38 beside Barney's desk.

"The Andy Griffith Show" - in Sheriff Andy Taylor's office is an Eico
720, a CW-only, XTAL-controlled transmitter, with a mike plugged into
its key jack. Don't recall if it made it into "Return to Mayberry."
--
Chuck WV8A
Detroit MI
Old October 20th 08, 04:19 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

Chuck Reti wrote:

"The Andy Griffith Show" - in Sheriff Andy Taylor's office is an Eico
720, a CW-only, XTAL-controlled transmitter, with a mike plugged into
its key jack. Don't recall if it made it into "Return to Mayberry."

In the sherrif's office in Eureka (sci-fi channel), there is some sort
of old radio. I never see it well enough to even guess what it is,
but someone who knows what it is might recognize it.

Over the three seasons, the microphone changed, I think early in the
first season, it went from a hand mike to a desktop.

Geoff.

Old October 21st 08, 10:00 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

In "Some Like It Hot" with Tony Curtis, Jack Lemmon, and Marilyn Monroe, the
character Osgood is shown making a ship-to-shore call from his yacht to the
hotel using a Hallicrafters S-20R.

http://antiqueradio.org/art/halli1023.jpg

Ridiculous, of course, since the S-20R is a receiver, not a transceiver. His
telephone handset is plugged into the headphone jack.

I have also noticed the SX-42 in "Sabrina."

Phil Nelson
Phil's Old Radios
http://antiqueradio.org/index.html

Old October 21st 08, 10:04 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

Ridiculous, of course

P.S. Also ridiculous because the S-20R wasn't introduced until 10 years
after 1929, when the movie is set.

Phil

Old October 21st 08, 10:57 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

In message , Phil Nelson
writes
Ridiculous, of course

P.S. Also ridiculous because the S-20R wasn't introduced until 10 years
after 1929, when the movie is set.

Phil

Talk of ridiculous, there is an old movie that has a German WW2 U boat
with a British Admiralty B40 RX on board.

http://www.armyradio.co.uk/arsc/cust...tid=1540&cat=7
2&page=2

http://tinyurl.com/5fl9xr

Apart from being British it was also a 1950s radio!
--
Bill