Old August 26th 09, 04:14 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

Default hex wrench size HRO-60 tone control knob

Hello,

Sombody know what size of hex wrench i need to remove the tone control
knob.
Smallest i have 1/16" but this is still to big.

Thanks in advance

Mario

Old August 29th 09, 04:37 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

Marino wrote:
Sombody know what size of hex wrench i need to remove
the tone control knob.
Smallest i have 1/16" but this is still to big.

Hi, Mario

It is a 3/64" hex wrench on my HRO-50,
I assume unchanged on your HRO-60.

73,
Ed Knobloch
Old September 12th 09, 09:12 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

It is a 3/64" hex wrench on my HRO-50,
I assume unchanged on your HRO-60.

73,
Ed Knobloch

Hi Ed,

just a curiosity.

In Europe the hex wrench and spanner size varies in increments of 0.5 mm (a
little more than 1/64"). We then have wrenches of 0.5, 1.0, 1.5, 2.0, .... Very
easy.

In the US, instead of always expressing size as multiples of 1/64" (that is
1/64", 2/64", 3/64", 4/64", 5/64" ...), when possible you simplify the fraction
(that is 2/64" -- 1/32", or 16/64" -- 1/4"). I wonder whether the average
AmerIcan, not necessarily well accustomed to play with fractions, can instantly
determine that, if e.g. a 17/32" spanner is too big, he should try a 33/64"
spanner before taking a 1/2" spanner.

73

Tony I0JX, Rome Italy

Old September 15th 09, 05:15 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

Hi, Tony

I don't know about other guys, but rarely do I consider
the numerical size of a hex wrench, just try the next larger or smaller
one in an index. The smaller ones aren't even labeled.

What makes my head hurt was the British coinage before decimalization:
12 pence in a shilling, 20 shillings in a pound.
With coins like florins (2 shillings), crown (5 shillings),
half-crown (2 shillings and 6 pence), farthing (1/4 pence),
etc. Then there was the Guinea of 21 shillings:
a professional would bill you in Guineas
for his services.

I guess the only residue of that system is that kids
here in the States still memorize math tables
up thru 12 x 12. That may be a holdover from the 12 pence per shilling
days.

73,
Ed Knobloch

Old September 15th 09, 10:16 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

I don't know about other guys, but rarely do I consider
the numerical size of a hex wrench, just try the next larger or smaller
one in an index. The smaller ones aren't even labeled.

Unfortunately I keep all my inch wrenches in a box with no order, so I must
sometimes consider numbers to orientate myself. Again, what puzzles me is why
paying the effort to convert sizes into multiples of 1/2, 1/4, 1/8, 1/16, 1/32
and 1/64, when expressing all sizes as multiples of 1/64" would require no
effort and simplify people life too.

What makes my head hurt was the British coinage before decimalization:
12 pence in a shilling, 20 shillings in a pound.
With coins like florins (2 shillings), crown (5 shillings),
half-crown (2 shillings and 6 pence), farthing (1/4 pence),
etc. Then there was the Guinea of 21 shillings:
a professional would bill you in Guineas
for his services.

I guess the only residue of that system is that kids
here in the States still memorize math tables
up thru 12 x 12. That may be a holdover from the 12 pence per shilling
days.

Interesting, I did not know that.

By the way, in Italy we have a translation for the English word "dozen", that is
"dozzina". But we only use it to buy eggs! For everything else we use the word
"decina" (that means about ten items).

Who knows whether all such residues of the past will disappear in the next 100
years.

73

Tony I0JX

Old September 16th 09, 03:24 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

Antonio Vernucci wrote:

In Europe the hex wrench and spanner size varies in increments of 0.5 mm (a
little more than 1/64"). We then have wrenches of 0.5, 1.0, 1.5, 2.0, .... Very
easy.

Yes, it's a nice system. Incidentally, a "spanner" in the US doesn't seem
to mean the same thing that it does in the UK... here it is a specific kind
of wrench used for retaining rings. I don't know how the usage got to be
different.

In the US, instead of always expressing size as multiples of 1/64" (that is
1/64", 2/64", 3/64", 4/64", 5/64" ...), when possible you simplify the fraction
(that is 2/64" -- 1/32", or 16/64" -- 1/4"). I wonder whether the average
AmerIcan, not necessarily well accustomed to play with fractions, can instantly
determine that, if e.g. a 17/32" spanner is too big, he should try a 33/64"
spanner before taking a 1/2" spanner.

The average American probably can't, but technicians working with the US
system pretty quickly get used to fractional numbers. We probably get a
lot more practice dealing with fractions than you guys do.

Where it gets weird is when you get to very small and very large sizes, the
systems sometimes change. For example, the hex wrenches go down to 1/8",
3/32", 5/64", and 1/16" but then the next one down is 0.050", then 0.035",
and then 0.028". Damned if I know why.

And don't even get me STARTED on numbered and lettered drill bits.
--scott