Old October 4th 09, 06:03 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

Default TTY & crypto test generator - need manual

Looking for a manual for an AN/UGM-11 (Wavetek 404) TTY test
generator.
Have tried all the usual sources but no luck so far.
FYI, photos of an AN/UGM-11 are at http://jproc.ca/crypto/ugm11.html

I managed to get this $2 hamfest acquisition running last night. Fixed
a power supply, traced out a bunch of the logic circuits, and replaced
two dud chips. Hooked it up to my Model 28 and the Quick Brown Fox is
now jumping merrily. (I'll clean up my circuit tracings some time and
put them on a web page for anyone interested)

But besides QBF, this gadget also generates messages for a bunch of
crypto machines - looks like garbage on the Model 28 but I don't have
any idea what crypto test messages should look like - The AN/UGM-11
generates test sequences for KW-7, KW-37, KG-14, KG-84, and KW-46
equipments.

These are generated from much larger proms than the FOX prom so I
guess that the messages are longer- but what the heck would they be?
Any info or links to a crypto machine e-mail list would be greatly
appreciated.

Huh, I wonder if the manuals are impossible to find because they were
classified?

cheers,
Nick K4NYW
www.navy-radio.com