Old January 2nd 10, 10:29 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

Default Geiger Tube Anyone?

I know this is a very long shot, but I wondered if anyone has a
geiger-muller tube lurking anywhere?
Perhaps you may know of a supplier or have an old geiger counter that you
may wish to dispose of?

Mr G4

Old January 3rd 10, 12:30 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

I know this is a very long shot, but I wondered if anyone has a
geiger-muller tube lurking anywhere?
Perhaps you may know of a supplier or have an old geiger counter that you
may wish to dispose of?

Mr G4

Not sure if you've seen these but...

http://www.goldmine-elec-products.co...?number=G17365

Barry - N4BUQ

Old January 3rd 10, 02:26 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

"Barry" wrote in message
I know this is a very long shot, but I wondered if anyone has a
geiger-muller tube lurking anywhere?
Perhaps you may know of a supplier or have an old geiger counter that you
may wish to dispose of?

Mr G4

Not sure if you've seen these but...

http://www.goldmine-elec-products.co...?number=G17365

That one only responds to Gamma radiation, not Alpha and Beta particles. A
GM tube to detect all three has a different construction- in particular a
thin window which will pass Alpha and Beta particles which normally are
stopped quite easily.

If the Geiger counter is for private/demo use then sources will be an issue.
Alpha and Beta sources are quite common- smoke detectors use an Alpha source
(can't recall the name) and "Tritium" lights (as found in some signs,
compasses, watches etc.) are Beta sources.

I don't recall any readily available sources of Gamma radiation- although it
is used extensively in medicine.

--
73
Brian G8OSN/W8OSN

Old January 3rd 10, 07:13 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

"Barry" wrote in message
I know this is a very long shot, but I wondered if anyone has a
geiger-muller tube lurking anywhere?
Perhaps you may know of a supplier or have an old geiger counter that you
may wish to dispose of?

Mr G4

Not sure if you've seen these but...

http://www.goldmine-elec-products.co...?number=G17365

Doesn't seem to look like any GM tube that I have seen before!

Old January 3rd 10, 08:04 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

"Mr G4" Mr G4 @uk.radio.amateur wrote in message
I know this is a very long shot, but I wondered if anyone has a
geiger-muller tube lurking anywhere?
Perhaps you may know of a supplier or have an old geiger counter that
you may wish to dispose of?

Mr G4

Not sure if you've seen these but...

http://www.goldmine-elec-products.co...?number=G17365

Doesn't seem to look like any GM tube that I have seen before!

Okay. I don't know anything about them but had recalled seeing the ad for
this one so I thought I'd pass it on. According to a previous post, it
apparently isn't what you might want either.

Good luck with your search.

Barry - N4BUQ

Old January 4th 10, 03:21 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

Mr G4 wrote:
I know this is a very long shot, but I wondered if anyone has a
geiger-muller tube lurking anywhere?
Perhaps you may know of a supplier or have an old geiger counter that you
may wish to dispose of?

Mr G4

Once upon a time I recall the type CK1026 GM tube. This was about the
size of a 50C5 tube, but with a single pin and an aquadag coating on the
outside of the tube. This tube was used in a geiger counter project
that was in one of Alfred Morgan's 'boys books of radio and
electronics', either the 2nd or 3rd book. There were other types of GM
tubes made, but the CK1026 was one of the least expensive and was used
in many simple radiation detectors.
Old January 4th 10, 03:24 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

Mr G4 wrote:
I know this is a very long shot, but I wondered if anyone has a
geiger-muller tube lurking anywhere?
Perhaps you may know of a supplier or have an old geiger counter that you
may wish to dispose of?

Mr G4

I found one for you!

http://www.surplussales.com/Tubes-Sock-Acc/geiger.html

Old January 4th 10, 03:49 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

Kenneth Scharf wrote:

Once upon a time I recall the type CK1026 GM tube. This was about the
size of a 50C5 tube, but with a single pin and an aquadag coating on the
outside of the tube. This tube was used in a geiger counter project
that was in one of Alfred Morgan's 'boys books of radio and
electronics', either the 2nd or 3rd book. There were other types of GM
tubes made, but the CK1026 was one of the least expensive and was used
in many simple radiation detectors.

The ones used in the 1960's radiation detectors and then sold in a pack
of 3 for $1 at Radio Shack in the late 1960's looked like long neon bulbs
with an extra wire comming out of them. I think they were around two inches
long, but it's been a long time since I've seen them.

Considering that they were designed to detect levels of radiation that would
only exist if you were close to ground zero and poking your head out of
a shelter in the rubble of an east coast (US) city, for all I know they
really were neon bulbs. :-)

Geoff.

New word I coined 12/13/09, "Sub-Wikipedia" adj, describing knowledge or
understanding, as in he has a sub-wikipedia understanding of the situation.
i.e possessing less facts or information than can be found in the Wikipedia.
Old January 4th 10, 04:20 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

Geoffrey S. Mendelson wrote:
Kenneth Scharf wrote:

[...]

You probably could use a Neon bulb as a radiation detector. You'd have
to keep the tube in the dark (inside a black plastic box) and carefully
adjust the voltage across the tube so it was just below the firing
voltage (need a well regulated power supply). Then an alpha or beta
particle might be enough to trigger the tube into conduction. The
sensitivity would be determined how close to the firing voltage the bias
supply was set.
Old January 4th 10, 04:43 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

Barry wrote:
I know this is a very long shot, but I wondered if anyone has a
geiger-muller tube lurking anywhere?
Perhaps you may know of a supplier or have an old geiger counter that you
may wish to dispose of?

Not sure if you've seen these but...

http://www.goldmine-elec-products.co...?number=G17365

The thing about these is that the glass is designed to block lower energy
radiation. Still, if you want to detect background gamma radiation, it's
not bad. It's probably okay for beta radiation too although you don't know
until you test it.

The market is glutted with Victoreen survey meters. Millions of them were
made for the civil defense folks in the fifties and sixties, and they are
all on the surplus market. They also don't respond well to lower energy
particles, and the scale calibration is useless because the integrator stage
is intended for use in very high radiation environments, but they are very
cheap.
--scott