Old December 22nd 10, 01:40 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

Default Question

One of my ham radio buddies passed away a few months ago, leaving
behind several old boatanchor receivers. Is it OK to post them for
sale here? TIA

John
Old December 22nd 10, 02:43 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

On Tue, 21 Dec 2010 20:40:51 -0500, JacksRadios rearranged some electrons
to say:

One of my ham radio buddies passed away a few months ago, leaving behind
several old boatanchor receivers. Is it OK to post them for sale here?
TIA

John

Probably not, if they are part of his estate.
Old December 22nd 10, 03:18 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

"JacksRadios" wrote in message
One of my ham radio buddies passed away a few months ago, leaving
behind several old boatanchor receivers. Is it OK to post them for
sale here? TIA

John

Thanks for asking, John.

Technically, the only correct place to list amateur radio equipment (and
all radio equipment) for sale is the newsgroup "rec.radio.swap".
Unfortunately many sellers, more concerned with a quick profit than they
are with netiquette, post in every group they can think of. This
newsgroup is more oriented to technical questions about boatanchors such
as alignment procedures, getting replacement parts, troubleshooting, etc.
While this group's emphasis is dominated by vacuum tube gear, posts on
early solid state gear such as the National HRO-500 are welcome too.
With the recent popularity in boatanchors, I am sure your posts will get
lots of attention.

A few suggestions...

When describing a radio, note both its electrical condition (does it
work, and if so, how well?), and its cosmetic condition. If you have not
tested the receivers, say so. Also note if the equipment has been
modified, and if so, how neat was the work. If there is any
documentation associated with the equipment such as manuals, it should be
included in your description. Likewise any accessories should also be
described. Since the "rec" groups do not allow binaries, posting
pictures is a little difficult. You can email them directly to those who
ask, or if your news server carries the "alt" newsgroups, you can post
pictures on "alt.binaries.pictures.radio".

I wish you the best of luck in finding new homes for these receivers.
Please accept my condolences on the loss of your friend.

Dr. Barry L. Ornitz WA4VZQ