Old September 4th 12, 03:25 AM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

Default RF27

I have one of these in unmodified condition.

Before I wreck it (WWII Gee Navigation RF Unit) for the
tuning condensers and slow-motion drive, is it of value
as a radio antique?

If it is, and you want it, what would you offer in exchange?

Old September 4th 12, 12:13 PM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

In message , gareth
writes
I have one of these in unmodified condition.

Before I wreck it (WWII Gee Navigation RF Unit) for the
tuning condensers and slow-motion drive, is it of value
as a radio antique?

If it is, and you want it, what would you offer in exchange?

Like much of the highly-prized equipment which was on sale in the 50s
and 60s, it is (as it is) essentially useless in the modern world. It
it's complete and in good condition, it would certainly be of interest
as a 'collectible'. While it would seem be a shame to break up a piece
of history, some of the 'bits' - if recycled - are just as functional
today as they ever were, and would be of use to an old-fashioned
experimenter. It's certainly a difficult decision what to do with such
things.
--
Ian
Old September 4th 12, 12:46 PM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

On 04/09/2012 12:13, Ian Jackson wrote:
In message , gareth
writes
I have one of these in unmodified condition.

Before I wreck it (WWII Gee Navigation RF Unit) for the
tuning condensers and slow-motion drive, is it of value
as a radio antique?

If it is, and you want it, what would you offer in exchange?

Like much of the highly-prized equipment which was on sale in the 50s
and 60s, it is (as it is) essentially useless in the modern world. It
it's complete and in good condition, it would certainly be of interest
as a 'collectible'. While it would seem be a shame to break up a
piece of history, some of the 'bits' - if recycled - are just as
functional today as they ever were, and would be of use to an
old-fashioned experimenter. It's certainly a difficult decision what
to do with such things.

You could list it on:

http://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/

If not already done so. A number of the guys there delight in getting
WW2 stuff together.

Les.
Old September 4th 12, 09:55 PM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

"Ian Jackson" wrote in message
In message , gareth
writes
I have one of these in unmodified condition.

Before I wreck it (WWII Gee Navigation RF Unit) for the
tuning condensers and slow-motion drive, is it of value
as a radio antique?

If it is, and you want it, what would you offer in exchange?

Like much of the highly-prized equipment which was on sale in the 50s and
60s, it is (as it is) essentially useless in the modern world. It it's
complete and in good condition, it would certainly be of interest as a
'collectible'. While it would seem be a shame to break up a piece of
history, some of the 'bits' - if recycled - are just as functional today
as they ever were, and would be of use to an old-fashioned experimenter.
It's certainly a difficult decision what to do with such things.

Especially as the existing hardare of tuning dial, 3 gang condenser and
supporting hardwar could form the basis of a single-band RX, all
using the same box / cabinet it came in.

Old September 4th 12, 09:56 PM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

"Lordgnome" wrote in message
[...]

I raised this possibility tonite down at G3VRE with an ex-RAF type.