Old November 15th 12, 09:18 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

Default Balancing final tubes

While replacing two exhausted 6JE6A tubes in an SSB transmitter with a pair
of identical tubes, I noted that, despite the new tubes are NIB, their
idling currents are significanly different from each other. To be fully sure
that the difference was due to the tubes, I tried to exchange tubes across
sockets. Moreover, during the test, I verified that no RF drive reached the
tube grids and that no self-oscillation was taking place: the difference was
really due to the tubes.

As those tubes are not too common nor very cheap either, I would like to try
a workaround for balancing them.

Looking at the schematic diagram I determined that modifying the circuit for
having two separate grid bias controls, allowing independent bias
adjustment, would be rather complex.

On the contrary giving a small negative voltage to the suppressor grid of
the strongest tube would be very easy.

I am aware that balancing the idling current does not necessarily imply that
tubes remain balanced also when RF drive is applied to their grid and, in
that respect, I wonder whether any one has got experience with balancing
tubes by varying the suppressor grid potential.

Thanks & 73

Tony I0JX
Rome, Italy

Old November 16th 12, 04:32 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

On Thu, 15 Nov 2012 22:18:24 +0100, Antonio I0JX wrote:

[...]

The cathode current of a pentode or beam pentode is mostly set by the
voltages on grids 1 & 2. While changing the voltage on the suppressor or
beam forming plates may or may not change the plate current, it won't
have much effect on the cathode current. In other words, if you use the
suppressor to reduce the plate current, the screen current will go up by
about the same amount. This could cause the screen dissipation to exceed
its ratings.

If you try this, watch the currents in the other elements as well as the
plate current.

--
Jim Mueller

To get my real email address, replace wrongname with dadoheadman.
Then replace nospam with fastmail. Lastly, replace com with us.