Old May 2nd 13, 03:35 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

Default DX-100 or Apache?

Michael Black wrote:
On Wed, 1 May 2013, Richard Knoppow wrote:
"Richard Knoppow" wrote in message
m...

"Scott Dorsey" wrote in message
Brian Burns wrote:

Disregard my post. The Apache does have plate modulation,
I was confusing it with another transmitter.

But it was a valid point to check. Most SSB transmitters used low level
modulation for AM, so the Apache then becomes a relatively uncommon item,
an SSB rig that does plate modulation for AM. That tends to make it a
better choice, since it does SSB too.

Let me guess: this approach gives you higher output power on AM since the
final can be operated class C, but it doubles the weight of the transmitter
with that huge modulation transformer?
--scott

Old May 2nd 13, 07:02 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

"Scott Dorsey" wrote in message
Roger wrote:
Another possible choice is the Johnson Viking I and II.
Both 100 watt
rigs that cover 160m but require an external VFO.

There are literally hundreds of different transmitters out
there that will
fit the bill, and to be honest a lot of them are much
better made than the
Heathkits which always seemed kind of marginal to me.

Everybody from Hallicrafters and Globe King on up to
Collins made something
like that.

I have to say, though, that the Vikings are really hard to
beat. They are
steady as a rock, the power supply is seriously
overdesigned, and they are
well-cooled. There are hundreds of small shortwave
broadcasters in South
America using the things with the key down 24 hours a day
with no rest, and
they just run and run. Audio quality is superb. You can
add a modern
synthesized VFO or the original Johnson VFO (which is
pretty stable) or
a crystal.
--scott

The complaint about some of the Johnson transmitters is
mainly from people who want hi-fi AM broadcast quality.
Most of them have clippers built-in and filtering for the
clipper and to tailor the frequency response for best
intelligibility. This IMO is actually a plus. Without a
clipper or some other form of amplitude limiting the average
modulation level for speech must be quite low. One other
problem evidently is that if too much clipping is used its
hard on the modulation transformer. Valiants are reported to
have this problem more than the 500. In any case it doesn't
take much clipping to increase average modulation
significantly without excessive distortion. Not too many AM
rigs had clippers in them, Collins did in the 30K and KW-1
but not the 32A series.

--
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles

Old May 12th 13, 06:55 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

Hello All,

Well it looks like the Viking II wins by default. Two have become available, for very reasonable prices, and they can cover the WARC bands as well as 160m.

As for audio modifications to improve fidelity--which AM'ers seem to want these days--Electric Radio magazine has a series of 3 articles describing a couple of levels of modification. June, July, and August 1998, and they have been used to good effect by no less than one of our favorite highly critical curmudgeons, who shall remain nameless (;-)...

Electrical Radio back issues are available directly from the publisher post haste, and for boatanchor lovers a subscription is just about mandatory!

Someone asked about my call sign. I was very active back in the early 1950's as W5BRO in south Texas, and K6UCD in Redwood City, Calif.

Thanks very much for all the responses--much appreciated!

Cheers,

Brian Burns

See my website: www.lessonsinlutherie.com

Old May 19th 13, 06:01 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

Brian Burns wrote:

As for audio modifications to improve fidelity--which AM'ers seem to want t=
hese days--Electric Radio magazine has a series of 3 articles describing a =
couple of levels of modification. June, July, and August 1998, and they hav=
e been used to good effect by no less than one of our favorite highly criti=
cal curmudgeons, who shall remain nameless (;-)...

Let me warn you against doing this. Not because it will devalue the radio
(which it might, but if you keep the parts you or someone else can always
undo it). Not because it sounds bad, because it sounds pretty good.

If you have an unmodified Viking, it sounds like a Viking on the air, and
people will stop and say, "Hey, I can tell you're on a Viking, it sounds
great!" If you open it up, it will just sound like every other wideband
radio out there.

And yes, the wider bandwidth means poorer copy under marginal conditions and
adjacent channel interference under crowded conditions. Those may not
bother you because most folks aren't going to be running AM under either
of those extremes anyway.

But the Viking is just a great-sounding radio with a distinct sound and
it seems a shame to lose that.
--scott

Old July 17th 13, 04:00 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

Having had both a Johnson Viking 2 and a Heath Apache and even a DX 100 that never worked, In my opinion the Apache was the most solidly built. For a rig with a pair of 6146es The Apache was the heaviest and seemed to just have the best quality! And I love Johnson too. Also If you're really into understanding the different classes of amplifier the SSB adapter takes the buffer output and feeds it thru a genuine phasing type SSB modulator operating at final frequency and feeds SSB exitation back to the 6146s operating in class AB, about 12 watts worth of drive. I have fed its output directly into a dipole on 40M and workied Denver from LA. You could use THEAPACHE as a Linear as well. Its a rather unique and very stable rig. JIM Temporarily expired. BB Soon.
Old July 17th 13, 04:10 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

Oops. De If U don't want the Apache, Ill take it!
Old July 17th 13, 04:59 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

In article ,
wrote:
Having had both a Johnson Viking 2 and a Heath Apache and even a DX
100 that never worked, In my opinion the Apache was the most solidly
built. For a rig with a pair of 6146es The Apache was the heaviest and
seemed to just have the best quality! And I love Johnson too. Also If
you're really into understanding the different classes of amplifier the
SSB adapter takes the buffer output and feeds it thru a genuine phasing
type SSB modulator operating at final frequency and feeds SSB exitation
back to the 6146s operating in class AB, about 12 watts worth of drive.
I have fed its output directly into a dipole on 40M and workied Denver
from LA. You could use THEAPACHE as a Linear as well. Its a rather
unique and very stable rig. JIM Temporarily expired. BB Soon.

I used to have a Viking 2, and one of its advantages over other rigs of
that time was that given the roller inductor, it could be used well
outside of the (then) ham bands. This means you can use it on the newer
ham bands. At the time I had it, the newer bands did not yet exist, but
a few of the MARS frequencies I operated on were well outside of the
(then) ham bands.

--
Rich Greenberg Sarasota, FL, USA richgr atsign panix.com + 1 941 378 2097
Canines: Val,Red,Shasta,Zero,Casey & Cinnar (At the bridge) Owner:Chinook-L
Old July 17th 13, 08:34 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

To reply to the VE that replied to me I do not know if I am quoting or not. The Question that was posed last may was asking opinions on which would be the better choice of a 100 watt or so 6146 rig, not an offer to buy or sell I was just offering my own experience es. Yes the thread is dated, but so is the equipment. So am I for that matter. The last time I posted to a newsgroup was in 1996 using a 386 and a 2400 baud hayes modem.not thru google & not thru the WWW. I appreciate any help and advice and I apologize,this is not the right place for Instruction. 73, JIM