RadioBanter

-   -   Let's try a different route :) (https://www.radiobanter.com/boatanchors/208579-lets-try-different-route.html)

HM Dickson October 26th 14 12:39 PM

Let's try a different route :)

Assuming I get my old Swan 500 working again. I still want to rig it to run on low power. Now an old ham told me that I could remove the High voltage to the finals, and ground the screens. He guessed I would get about 8 to 10 watts trickling through, and it wouldn't hurt the tubes. In this he said it could be put back at will without rewiring the radio.

Sounds great to me. Any thoughts?

Antonio I0JX October 26th 14 01:53 PM

Let's try a different route :)

"HM Dickson" ha scritto nel messaggio

Assuming I get my old Swan 500 working again. I still want to rig it to run
on low power. Now an old ham told me that I could remove the High voltage
to the finals, and ground the screens. He guessed I would get about 8 to 10
watts trickling through, and it wouldn't hurt the tubes. In this he said it
could be put back at will without rewiring the radio.

Sounds great to me. Any thoughts?

In my opinon, to get 8 - 10W you should ground the tubes screen (after
removing the wire or resistor thouugh which the screen is powered, while the
by-pass capacitors can stay where they are) , but the high-voltage to the
finals should NOT be removed.

Removing also the plate voltage you would likely only get a fraction of a
Watt

73

Tony I0JX
Rome, Italy