Old August 5th 18, 03:28 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

Default Downward modulation on viking ll

Ralph Mowery wrote:
Tried several things. Replaced the tube HV rectifiers with solid state
diodes. Voltage dropped about 25 volts under modulation while power out
still droped about 20 watts.

That's probably not a bad idea, but yes, not related to any problem.

I am beginning to think it is just a watt meter problem. I used a
Struthers watt meter and it goes up with modulation like I would expect.

As I said earlier in the thread, ignore the watt meter. Don't believe the
watt meter. Look at the plate current. If the plate current stays pretty
steady, you're okay. If the plate current is sagging, either the waveform
is asymmetric (which is fine on a voice but not fine on a sine wave) or
the supply is sagging.

If it drops on a voice but doesn't drop on a test sine wave, flip the
microphone polarity so it rises on your voice and you'll sound louder
in a pileup...
--scott

I am building an elevated vertical with 2 elevated downward slopingradials to be used for 10meters-20meters [email protected] Antenna 0 October 1st 16 05:25 AM
downward noise reducing ant? ml Antenna 6 December 31st 07 04:36 PM
The downward spiral of the left continues... yojimbo Shortwave 4 October 6th 04 11:36 PM
modulation leonard bailey CB 1 September 8th 03 02:09 AM
FS: BIG MODULATION TRANSFORMER Jim Moci Swap 0 August 2nd 03 04:08 PM