Old July 16th 03, 01:48 AM
G.Beat

Default Looking for a switch, capacitor or meter?

"Leigh W3NLB" wrote in message
On Tue, 15 Jul 2003 01:48:08 GMT, "G.Beat"
wrote:

When restoring a "boatanchor" it is not uncommon for a switch, variable
capacitor or meter to require repair or replacement.
Often, the original manufacturer of the equipment (and their procurement
notes) are long gone.
Even the original USA part manufacturers are hard to find, largely due to
the mergers and acquisitions over the last 15 years.

While a "parts rig" may be an alternative - it is not always a viable or
affordable option.
Here is my very short list of current US part manufacturers (and when
available the name of companies they purchased)
[snip]
------------------------
Greg
W9GB

Thanks for the great info, Greg. I copied your post to r.a.r+p (with
proper attribution, of course). Hope you don't mind.

73 de Leigh W3NLB

No I do not mind.
It took a few weeks of spare time to track down the information.

What I really would like to see is a reverse engineered "updated" parts list
for classic boatanchors.
The resistors and capacitors would be fairly straight forward -- with
notation for substitution of the
more commonly available value (e.g. 0.5 mfd original value -- 0.47 mfd
current part)

The harder parts are the air variables, analog meters, wafer and lever
switches that were
more common 50 years ago in electronic equipment. That is the reason for
the original research.

There are always some "custom parts", but with modern manufacturing and
computer aided design ---
these can be reproduced, IF sufficient quantities are required (demand) to
justify a production run.

Television programming is filled with automotive, motorcycle and home
restorations -- as well as
roadshows to reveal the true price of antiques. The demand is there -- and
the money --- just needs focus !

Greg
w9gb

Old July 16th 03, 03:40 AM

On Tue, 15 Jul 2003 13:20:23 UTC, Leigh W3NLB
wrote:

On Tue, 15 Jul 2003 01:48:08 GMT, "G.Beat"

------------------------
Greg
W9GB

Thanks for the great info, Greg. I copied your post to r.a.r+p (with
proper attribution, of course). Hope you don't mind.

73 de Leigh W3NLB

course, included your name and call sign as the author.

I'd like to host it on the web at www.kiyoinc.com/heathstuff.html
for all to benefit from.

de ah6gi/4

Thanks

Old July 17th 03, 07:58 PM
Leigh W3NLB

On Wed, 16 Jul 2003 00:48:16 GMT, "G.Beat"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

[...]

I think the wafer switches would be the most difficult. There are a
billion combinations that I've seen, and I haven't seen them all ;-)

One item I've considered is the knobs. You can sub electrical parts
and get the radio to work, but you can't sub knobs and still have it
look right. Few people see under the chassis, but everybody sees the
front panel.

Don't know if there is any good small-volume technology available for
such things or not.

Thanks again for the great leg work.

73 de Leigh W3NLB

Ladderline switch Jaggy Taggy Antenna 7 October 26th 04 01:46 AM
Heath HD-1481 Antenna Switch KØHB Antenna 2 September 1st 04 03:32 PM
Antenna Switch William H. Everhart III Antenna 3 August 21st 04 01:17 PM
help with T-R switch design mike nelson Antenna 1 November 28th 03 06:44 AM