Old July 26th 03, 11:52 AM
tim english

Default Help with TS-930S Power Output

Recently acquired a nice TS-930S but I suspect a previous owner had
turned the RF power output down somewhat as I only get between 80-90
watts out of the rig. I believe the rig is rated at 230 watts input
and have been told the RF output should be around 130 watts. Can
someone tell me where/what pot to adjust to increase the RF output ? I
did not get an owners or service manual for the rig. I have ordered an
owners manual but suspect it will be some time before I get it. Any
help would greatly be appreciated.
--
Tim, K8TJ

Old July 27th 03, 02:19 PM
Brian

and have been told the RF output should be around 130 watts. Can
someone tell me where/what pot to adjust to increase the RF output ? I

Adjust VR8 for 110 watts output. VR8 is on the main signal board,
underneath. Locate it as follows: With the radio upsidedown and the
front panel toward you, look to the left of center of the board,
slightly toward you. Locate connector 5 (8 pins). Directly above (away
from you) is a pot. Directly to the right of that pot is VR8. To
verify, VR8 has a pot directly to its right and one directly toward
you.

Brian
Old July 27th 03, 04:31 PM
G.Beat

Tim -

I believe that the TS-930S uses the MRF-422 RF bipolar transistor (28 volts
and 150 watts out for 15 watts in).
Kenwood service bulletins suggest the usage of the "Low Beta" MRF422
(Orange/Yellow)
RF transistor be used in the TS-930 transceiver.

So, you ask, what is this "beta" thing?

Generally speaking, RF power gain (Pg) and Maximum Saturated Power Output
(Po) will be higher with "High Beta" parts, however, amplifiers and
transceivers using
"High Beta" parts will tend to be less "rugged" and may require additional
stabilization (e.g. additional components and circuitry).

Motorola© uses two methods to designate d.c. current gain (Beta) of popular
RF Power Transistors;
"Color Dot" and "Letter Code". (Note: some transistors may not carry the
Beta test code.)
Motorola beta coding (colored dots)

http://www.rfparts.com/tranmatch.html

You may wish to double check the service notes for the TS-930 on the Kenwood
web site

I believe that there are 15 Kenwood bulletins for this transceiver model

http://www.mods.dk/mods.php3?model=ts-930&radio=kenwood

http://www.kenwood.net/indexKenwood....&FileCatID= 1

http://public.srce.hr/9A1CDD/mods/kenwood/ts930.mod

Dave Leeson W6NL and Tom Hammond N0SS notes
http://www.kkn.net/~k5tr/ts930fix.html

TS-930 notes
http://www.kkn.net/~k5tr/ts930fix.html

http://www.jvgavila.com/ts930s.htm

Piexx - board upgrade
http://www.piexx.com/cgi-bin/piexx.c...d=7037658.3009

Good luck !

Greg
w9gb
--
DO NOT use Reply.
Only reply through ARRL forwarding service to W9GB