Old September 16th 03, 02:53 PM
Wayne

Default Help Required - Operation of Boatanchor Amateur Radio HF Station

Hi,

I'm new to the HF bands (upgraded licence earlier this year), and
rather than go for a modern transceiver, I decided to set up and
operate a boatanchor type station. I just finished acquiring the
components required, and I'm looking advice from someone experienced
on this vintage of equipment on the procedures to follow when
operating the station.

Equipment:

Heathkit SB-400 HF Transmitter
KW Electronics SWR Bridge and Power Meter
Dentron Super Tuner
Antenna Switch
Heathkit Cantenna Dummy Load
3-band dipole antenns (40, 20 and 10 meters)
Icom R-70 Receiver (OK, not quite a boatanchor, but it was cheap!)
DSI 3550 Frequency Counter (ditto, but wanted some way to get right on
freq. with the transmitter!)

So far, this is what I have figured out for a process:

Call CQ:

- select clear frequency on RX
- switch to dummy load
- select band on TX
- tune TX freq dial to RX frequency plus 1 MHz (offset to put Heath
BFO on freq. - determined by trial and error)
- Select TUNE mode (5 seconds on, 5 off during adjustments so as not
to overheat finals), and fine tune TX using freq. counter
- switch to dipole antenna
- select CW mode
- transmit call sign and tune TX for max power output at low power
setting
- tune antenna tuner for min SWR
- adjust TX for high power, retouch tuning for max power out
- retouch antenna tuner for min SWR
- select LSB or USB mode on TX, depending on band being worked
- station ready for operation, call CQ.

Answer a CQ or join a net call:

- select clear frequency (near as possible to the QSO freq.) on RX
- switch to dummy load
- select band on TX
- tune TX freq dial to RX frequency plus 1 MHz (offset to put Heath
BFO on freq. - determined by trial and error)
- Select TUNE mode (5 seconds on, 5 off during adjustments so as not
to overheat finals), and fine tune TX using freq. counter
- switch to dipole antenna
- select CW mode
- transmit call sign and tune TX for max power output at low power
setting
- tune antenna tuner for min SWR
- adjust TX for high power, retouch tuning for max power out
- retouch antenna tuner for min SWR
- switch to dummy load
- retune RX to QSO freq.
- retune TX to QSO freq. + 1 MHz. Key the TX, and fine tune using
freq. counter.
- switch to dipole antenna
- select LSB or USB mode on TX, depending on band being worked
- if the QSO is still in progress after all of this, join in!

Not sure if these procedures are correct - if anyone would care to
comment and amend them, I'd be appreciative! My procedure for
answering a QSO is fairly time consuming - there must be a better
(faster??) way!

Thanks in advance,

Wayne

Old September 16th 03, 03:00 PM
--exray--

Wayne wrote:

Not sure if these procedures are correct - if anyone would care to
comment and amend them, I'd be appreciative! My procedure for
answering a QSO is fairly time consuming - there must be a better
(faster??) way!

Have it all tuned up beforehand so that you only need to spot the freq
for a reply.

-Bill

Old September 17th 03, 11:49 AM
Wayne

Thanks very much - you're absolutely right, I did mean 1 kHz for the
offset, not 1 MHz. Your explanation of the passband just clicked, and
I now see why - 1.05 kHz it is!

Please feel free to add this story to your site - and like you, I
enjoy operating equipment that feels 'real'.

Regards,

Wayne

On 17 Sep 2003 03:11:15 GMT, No Spam (ckh) wrote:

Good for you. I'd like to add your story to my boatanchor/heathkit
website, www.kiyoinc.com/heathstuff.html

I've been refurbing SB-303's and have an SB-401 that needs work.

There is something satisfying about working on these old radios.

I think you mean offset 1 kHz for the heathkit bfo.

The problem is that, like Collins, Heath used one SSB filter
and then moved the oscillator from one side to the other.

If the passband is 2.1 kHz, then the shift would be up or
down 1.05 kHz to move the carrier to the edge of the passband from
the center. At least I think that's what you're seeing.

The other reason that I find the boatanchors to be so enjoyable is
that the controls are all analog and direct. You can feel the
bearings when you turn the knobs.

de ah6gi/4

Old September 17th 03, 01:07 PM
Wayne

Bill,

Thanks - that makes perfect sense. My approach so far has been to
tune around the bands looking for a CQ, then rush to tune up and jump
on it. Looks like more planning is required - pick a band, tune up,
listen within a segment of the band for activity, and fine tune after
contact has been established. I'll do that going forward (sure will
save a lot of wear on the knobs!).

So far no one has written to say "Hey, dummy, you'll burn up the
finals if you do it that way !!", so I know that I'm tuning this thing
up correctly.

There's lots of information available on radio regulations, band
plans, and how to initiate QSOs, but none that I could find on the
actual technical operation of a relatively (for me, anyway) complex
station - you've filled in the missing info, and I greatly appreciate
your help!

73, Wayne

On Tue, 16 Sep 2003 16:34:38 -0400, --exray-- wrote:

While I wouldn't hesitate to operate at 7140 or 7265 in the example
given, if you're going to be staying there a while, a slight peak of the
drive and/or tune is simple enough...you can do that almost between the
other guy's "aaaahs" once you get the hang of it.
Once you're basically tuned up correctly all you need to do is hit the
TUNE position or key and make an ever so slight adjustment for max smoke
on the output or wattmeter....a couple of seconds.
I see you have a penchant for the numbers so consider what the
half-power (50 watt = 3db = 0.5 S-unit) bandwidth actually is. Pretty
wide, huh?
Your antenna will also have a lot of say in determining how far you can
roam without repeaking.
I'm not recommending running the thing "unpeaked" because the tube
parameters may be another issue but its not as picky as you are
perceiving it to be. Once you get a feel for it you'll see. You'll
also likely develop favorite parts of the band and find those wide
excursions to be rather rare.

GL,
Bill

Old September 17th 03, 09:35 PM
Mike Silva

Wayne wrote in message . ..
Bill,

Thanks - that makes perfect sense. My approach so far has been to
tune around the bands looking for a CQ, then rush to tune up and jump
on it. Looks like more planning is required - pick a band, tune up,
listen within a segment of the band for activity, and fine tune after
contact has been established. I'll do that going forward (sure will
save a lot of wear on the knobs!).

I also keep a little sheet of paper with starter settings (transmitter
and tuner) for each band, so you can dial everything in close before
doing the final tuning.

Just pick a "center" frequency for each band or subband, tune up your
rig there, and write down those settings for future reference.

73,
Mike, KK6GM