Old September 20th 03, 02:13 PM
Argus

Default Vacuum tube technical question

Gentlemen:

Can anyone tell me what the tube manufacturers used to cement the plate caps
to the tube envelope?

Thanks-for-reading

Prof. R. Long
Ivy Tech State College

Old September 20th 03, 05:22 PM
Michael A. Terrell

Argus wrote:

Gentlemen:

Can anyone tell me what the tube manufacturers used to cement the plate caps
to the tube envelope?

Thanks-for-reading

Prof. R. Long
Ivy Tech State College

Tube cement. GC used to sell it for repairs.
--

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida

Old September 20th 03, 10:41 PM
Tom Coates

I once used regular 2-part epoxy of the type sold in small tubes in a
variety store. It was visible but inconspicuous and did the job well.

Tom, N3IJ

hlink.net...

Old September 21st 03, 01:29 AM
Scott Schrader

I have fixed a couple loose bases with 5-minute epoxy as well... on 01a
tubes... I agree it gets it done.

"Argus" wrote in message
hlink.net...
Gentlemen:

Can anyone tell me what the tube manufacturers used to cement the plate

caps
to the tube envelope?

Thanks-for-reading

Prof. R. Long
Ivy Tech State College

-- If it's a "new economy," why do they want my obsolete old money?

Old September 22nd 03, 05:54 PM
Scott Dorsey

Argus wrote:
Thanks a bunch for your input guys.

Tube caps and bases used to be cemented with high temperature frit-type
cements. Sauereisen cement or a mixture of litharge and glycerine used
to be popular. The same sort of things that are used to cement bases onto
light bulbs today.
--scott

Old September 22nd 03, 07:23 PM
Joe Curry

Sauereisen cement is still available. See www.sauereisen.com under cement
products, air dried.

I have also had success with high temperature silicone gasket cement, the
red stuff. It is available at any auto supply store.

No matter what you use, it will have to handle the heat. It is not clear
that the cyanoacrylic materials (such as Crazy Glue) will hold up under the
temperatures to which power tubes are subjected.

73,

Joe
K3ICO