Old October 7th 03, 06:29 PM
Scott Dorsey

Mike Knudsen wrote:
In article , (Scott Dorsey)
writes:

Let's say you have a beam power tube that was used on an amplifier with
a screen grid supply problem, and the screen grid drew current and burned
completely away. There's nothing left any more.

Agreed. Worse yet, a 6146 that got overdriven and the control grid has bruned
away. No gain at all, but good emission.

But I did ask "other than physical abuse", and maybe "electrical abuse" should
have been included as well. Is it possible for a non-abused (in any way) tube
to lose gain and performance, while its emission remains good?

Sure, because you can get less dramatic examples of that sort of thing.
Grids that sag a little bit, for instance. Yes, it's a mechanical failure,
but it's a common one and it's not necessarily due to abuse. Deformed plates
on power tubes are common too.

Not including gas, which I believe the cheap tube testers can catch.

Yes.

BTW, I once owned a little grid emission tester, whihc I have seen mentioned
here once or twice. Grid emission will kill your AGC line. --Mike K.

Somewhere I have a free tube tester that Chicago Transformer gave me as a
promotional item. It puts the tube filament across the AC line, with a
neon bulb and resistor in series. If the filament is good, the neon bulb
lights up, and the lamp doesn't pass enough current to light up, let alone
damage, the filament. Totally useless, but a nifty conversation piece.
--scott