Old October 12th 03, 02:19 PM
Brian Goldsmith

"Dave Edwards" wrote

I could build a wooden box too. Probably in less than a half hour.
I am not so sure I'd put my 75A4 in it and hand it to DHL.
I think the original post is AOK wanting to see how to do it right. I
bet
like anything else...there are little tricks and methods to make the
thing
bulletproof.

**** Why on Earth would anyone want to make a wooden box containing a
75A4 bulletproof?

Brian Goldsmith.

Old October 12th 03, 04:14 PM
Uncle Peter

"donutbandit" wrote in message
(Space Charge) wrote in

Does anyone know of a website/ftp/anything on the Net that instructs
you in how to build your own shipping/transport crates? Looking
forward to the possible day when I might have to crate up my
boatanchors for moving, I was in sticker shock when I got a quote from
my local crater. (This guy's kid is going to Yale.)

I have the woodworking tools, and could probably learn to do it pretty
fast. But there just doesn't seem to be a site out there with a
"how-to" on this subject. Used several search engines, too.

Thanks to the group in advance,

Lin/KJ6EF

For email responses, remove "nospam_".

I have trouble imagining an American male so challenged that he needs a

how
to site to build a crate.

How to: you build a wooden box.

A wooden box is NO protection, the radio still has too be properly
prepared and provided with some sort of shock absorbsion to
dissipate energy when the box comes to a sudden or abrupt stop
(i.e. hits the floor!)

1st case: SX-42 from Pennsylvania. Radio is boxed, and foamed in
place. Radio arrives with damaged front panel 'cause the seller failed
to secure the rear apron screws to the bottom of the cabinet. Power
trannies have some leaverage...

2nd case: SX-28 from California. Seller insists on having the
radio "professional crated". Wood box arrives in shape. Radio
suffers internal damage to tuning shafts because the flywheels
bent the shafts when the box was dropped. No "shock absorbsion"
provided; such as layers of bubble wrap, etc.

Pete