Old October 14th 03, 03:27 PM
JONWEINER

Default FS: Hard to find Bristol Wrench Sets

COMPLETE 10 PIECE SET OF RARE AND HARD TO FIND BRISTOL SPLINE WRENCHES -
PERFECT FOR THOSE HARD TO REMOVE COLLINS AND HALLICRAFTERS KNOBS - COMPLETE
WITH VINYL CARRYING POUCH

Kit contains 6 flute wrenches in major inch diameters .060, .072, .096, .111,
..133, .145, .168, & .183, and 4 flute wrenches in .069, & .076. Includes all
sizes necessary for radio repair, including the special size used on the
Collins 4:1 vernier knobs. Don't risk those valuable knobs, use the correct
tool for knob removal. Buyer to add $2. shipping (USA), $3. foreign.

Old October 14th 03, 11:08 PM
Phil Nelson

PERFECT FOR THOSE HARD TO REMOVE COLLINS AND HALLICRAFTERS KNOBS -
COMPLETE

What is an example of a Hallicrafters knob requiring such wrenches? I don't
recall any problems using ordinary American gauge Allen wrenches. Not that I
have worked on that many Hallicrafters . . . but your post makes me curious.

Regards,

Phil

Old October 15th 03, 12:54 AM
Frank Dresser

"Phil Nelson" wrote in message
nk.net...
PERFECT FOR THOSE HARD TO REMOVE COLLINS AND HALLICRAFTERS KNOBS -

COMPLETE

What is an example of a Hallicrafters knob requiring such wrenches? I

don't
recall any problems using ordinary American gauge Allen wrenches. Not that

have worked on that many Hallicrafters . . . but your post makes me

curious.

Regards,

Phil

The setscrew which holds the gear on the TV tuner like turret on my TW-1000
is 4 point Bristol. My SX-99 uses the same size on the small metal knobs on
the front panel. It uses larger 6 point Bristol setscrews on the antenna
trimmer coupler and the dial holddowns. I don't know if they used standard
hex setscrews on other runs. Wouldn't surprise me if they did.

Frank Dresser

Old October 15th 03, 01:06 AM

On Tue, 14 Oct 2003 22:08:06 UTC, "Phil Nelson"
wrote:

PERFECT FOR THOSE HARD TO REMOVE COLLINS AND HALLICRAFTERS KNOBS -

COMPLETE

What is an example of a Hallicrafters knob requiring such wrenches? I don't
recall any problems using ordinary American gauge Allen wrenches. Not that I
have worked on that many Hallicrafters . . . but your post makes me curious.

Regards,

Phil

My Hallicrafters SX-101A used those spline setscrews. Hard to
find the wrenches? Not in 1963. Might be hard now.

de ah6gi/4

Old October 15th 03, 02:14 AM
Phil

These are on eBay on a regular basis.....

turns out you only need about 2 or 3 to cover all your needs.

73, Phil
W5BVB

Old October 15th 03, 03:21 AM
--exray--

Phil wrote:
These are on eBay on a regular basis.....

by the same guy

turns out you only need about 2 or 3 to cover all your needs.

73, Phil
W5BVB

I believe http://www.mcmaster.com has them

-Bill