Old October 19th 03, 06:36 PM
Frank Dresser

"Scott W. Harvey" wrote in message

[snip]

I have tested brand new electrolytics and have found them to be as
much as 50% off rated capacity. Small coupling and bypass caps, though
are usually right on the money if they're good.

-Scott

That's interesting. I've checked some new electrolytics with my old
Heathkit cap checker, and they are almost always within 20% or so of the
indicated value. I'll check more later and see if it still holds true.

Frank Dresser

Old October 19th 03, 07:30 PM
BFoelsch

A tolerance of +100% -50% was more or less standard on old electrolytic
caps. Today, +50% -10% is customary, but some are still wider than that.

Old October 19th 03, 08:14 PM
Scott Dorsey

Frank Dresser wrote:
"Scott W. Harvey" wrote in message

I have tested brand new electrolytics and have found them to be as
much as 50% off rated capacity. Small coupling and bypass caps, though
are usually right on the money if they're good.

That's interesting. I've checked some new electrolytics with my old
Heathkit cap checker, and they are almost always within 20% or so of the
indicated value. I'll check more later and see if it still holds true.

Electrolytics are usually rated for -10%, +50% tolerances, and most of
them will measure higher than the package says. Check the data sheet
on the caps.
--scott

Old October 19th 03, 08:23 PM
Mike Knudsen

In article , "BFoelsch"
writes:

For testing boatanchor-era caps, I would strongly suggest that you get one
of the same-era capacitor bridges that let you test with real voltage
applied. I like the Heath, but I have also used the Sprague and I am sure
many others are just as good.

I use the venerable Eico 950A bridge and leakage tester. You can dial up any
voltage up to around 500 and observe leakage on the magic eye tube; for
'lytics, a neon bulb in series is subbed for the eye tube. Once you charge the
cap up to rated voltage, the eye or bulb should show nothing.

Great for reforming lytics too. And the bridge is pretty accurate for
measurements.

But still, before cutting one end loose to check it, I find it worthwhile to
check grid and screen voltages in a radio to see if a cap is really leaking
enough to throw things off. --Mike K.

Oscar loves trash, but hates Spam! Delete him to reply to me.

Old October 19th 03, 09:20 PM
--exray--

BFoelsch wrote:
A tolerance of +100% -50% was more or less standard on old electrolytic
caps. Today, +50% -10% is customary, but some are still wider than that.

You've got to look long and hard to find any with that loose a spec
anymore. I just paged thru the Mouser catalog and a quick glance sez
everything offered is +/-20% except for the old Vishay/Sprague TVA-Atoms
and Littl-Lytics.

-Bill

Old October 20th 03, 04:09 AM
Frank Dresser

"Frank Dresser" wrote in message

Here's the results, checked on a Heathkit IT-28:

BC HP 68ufd 200V
68-62-60

BC HP 47ufd 200V
43-44-46-44-44-43-45-45

BC HP 33ufd 200V
33-30-29-31-31-30-33-32

Xicon 47ufd 160V(Marked +/- 20%)
44-43-43-46-43-44-48

Xicon 33ufd 160V(Marked +/- 20%)
32-34-34-34-34-32-33-32

Panasonic 47ufd 450V
45-46-43

Ducati 100ufd 25V (about 30 years old)
98-100-100-98-105-95-105-102-110-100-110

Planet Liticap 40ufd 450V (used pull, maybe 40 years old)
38

Frank Dresser

Weather caps Scott Livingston Antenna 0 December 14th 03 01:20 PM
Electrolytic caps question Mark Boatanchors 6 October 17th 03 06:25 PM
Electrolytic caps question Mark Boatanchors 0 October 16th 03 12:37 AM
Trap end caps Scott Livingston Antenna 0 October 5th 03 08:40 PM
Resistance Checking Scott Dorsey Boatanchors 4 July 11th 03 01:56 AM