Old October 26th 03, 04:25 AM
Mike Knudsen

In article , "WF2U"
writes:

The transmitter antenna
tuner is automatically switched over to match a whip or a coax-fed dipole
(50 ohms) depending on the antenna connector used ("N" connector or binding
post).

OK, so the different matchings wre done in the TX ant tuner. That makes sense.
I knew that the R-392 was part of a T/R setup, though I've never actually seen
a T-195. Must be as interesting inside as the R-392, and really crammed in!

The antenna trimmer in the receiver optimizes the match in either case. The
antenna binding post on the receiver is the same input as the BNC.

So as long as I get a definite peak with the Ant Trimmer, and not at one
extreme of capacitance, I'm probably matching properly to whatever antenna I'm
using. Last time I used the radio, it seemed to have a good double peak (not
an extreme), so I guess all is well.

I started this thread due to a similar discussion on the R-388 (high impedance
antenna input) versus the 51J-3 (allegedly low-Z link input). My schematics
for both those radios show a high-Z input, cap coupled to the top of the Ant
coil and the RF amp grid. --Mike K.

Oscar loves trash, but hates Spam! Delete him to reply to me.
Old October 26th 03, 07:51 PM
WF2U

No, the antenna matching is done only for the transmitter. The antenna relay
transfers the antenna directly to the receiver on receive.
BTW I use the GRC-19 set on the ham bands. The T-195 transmitter puts out
100 W AM/CW (can do it key down 24 hours a day, as the transmitter is
designed for RTTY service). It has the Collins PTO with the
mechanical-digital frequency readout like the receiver and the transmitter
tunes and matches into the antenna automatically. It takes 35 A at 28 VDC
to run it.

73, Meir WF2U