Old November 1st 03, 03:54 AM
Michael Melland

Default Need 2.5 (3) Ohm Eddystone Speaker

Looking for a speaker to use with my "new" Eddystone receiver. I see the
manual states the output is 2.5 Ohms and that a 2.5 or 3 Ohm speaker is
called for. Any Eddystone speakers out there for a match to a 770 U
receiver ?

Mike
--
Michael Melland, W9WIS
Winneconne, Wisconsin USA EN54pc

Old November 2nd 03, 10:30 AM
Ian Jackson

In message , Michael Melland
writes
Looking for a speaker to use with my "new" Eddystone receiver. I see the
manual states the output is 2.5 Ohms and that a 2.5 or 3 Ohm speaker is
called for. Any Eddystone speakers out there for a match to a 770 U
receiver ?

Mike
--
Michael Melland, W9WIS
Winneconne, Wisconsin USA EN54pc
qrp-l #1656 - qrparci # 9875 - iparc #252
ars #1075 - http://webpages.charter.net/w9wis/

Just use any normal 4 or 8 ohm speaker. The only difference will be that
the electrical power into the speaker will be somewhat lower than with
the 'correct' 2.5 ohm. However, the audio volume also depends on the
efficiency of the speaker. You'll never know the difference. Simply
adjust volume to suit!

In principle, you should be a little cautious about operating equipment
with audio tubes for the audio into impedances higher than specified
(especially high power into open circuits), but it's highly unlikely
that this applies in this case. You certainly won't blow up the 770U.

Cheers,
Ian.