Old November 3rd 03, 03:43 AM
Roger Halstead

Default Henry 2K4 relay noise

I have an old 2K2 that I picked up a couple years ago. I've fixed a
few problems, with some help off the news groups.

I used to work on this kind of thing on a daily basis, but that was 40
years ago ... sigh At any rate my trouble shooting skills are
getting a bit of practice.

One annoyance, not really a problem is a hum or buzz that gets louder
with increasing plate current. I think it's the plate current
overload relay.

What is a good way to quiet this thing down mechanically? I guess I
could build a solid state trip circuit which would be silent and they
aren't very complex, but I would like to keep the thing more or less
stock.

The only real things I've found wrong were the meter switch was
misindexed. I still haven't figured out how that can happen when the
indexing is internal. There were no signs the switch had ever been
taken apart either. I did take it apart and put it back together so
the indexing was correct. (I used to do instrument repair and
calibration in another life oh so many years ago.) Another problem
was the bias module (diode with resistor and capacitor network) was
shot causing high idle current and the forward power indication
doesn't work. As the reflected does, I'm guessing the diode in the
sample line is bad. The previous owner had replaced the power
transformer with a "Huge" Peter Dahl unit that is considerably larger
than the original. The filter choke is as big as the plate
transformer in my HT-33B. Some where along the line, someone modified
the bias and the SWR circuits, but nothing that can't be deciphered.

At any rate, it's getting closer to being back on the air. Actually I
can use it now, by inserting a diode, resistor, and capacitor in place
of the failed diode network...I've tried it, but I'm waiting for the
correct unit from the factory. OTOH, I'm tempted to just replace the
whole thing with a 10V 25 or 50 watt Zener and bypass cap.

I work a bit on the equipment, a bit on the shop and a bit on the
airplane project...which means I don't move very fast on any of them,
but I am making progress. Today was run conduit day. I installed
two junction boxes. One outside and one inside the wall with a 2" pipe
connecting them. A one foot stub of 1 1/4 emt comes out the bottom of
the one on the outside and the inside one feeds a run of 1 1/4 inch
emt conduit. That runs across the south half of the west end of the
shop, up the corner and then over the garage door on the south wall
with a drop down to the work bench. That outside box is going to get
filled with foam (to keep the Yellow jackets out of the shop.

Now that I've discovered the shop still has a floor, I guess it's time
to do some cleaning too.

Any one else notice how much extra time these "little jobs" seem to
take?

www.rogerhalstead.com
N833R World's oldest Debonair? (S# CD-2)

Noise and Loops Question Tony Angerame Antenna 4 August 24th 04 10:12 PM
Spectrum Analyzer Bill B. Antenna 9 May 4th 04 03:56 PM
160 Meter noise Metalhead Antenna 4 January 20th 04 03:08 PM
Ten-tec vee beam Tom Coates Antenna 8 September 21st 03 12:47 AM
Automatic RF noise cancellation and audio noise measurement JGBOYLES Antenna 25 August 11th 03 01:07 AM