Old November 4th 03, 03:04 PM
Spud

Default Wtd: "Command Sets" book by Gordon White, Published by CQ magazine,Oct 1965

Looking for a copy of "Command Sets", article, by Gordon White, published
by Wayne Greene,CQ magazine, Oct.65

--
Spud: davidaanderson at shaw and a dot then ca

Old November 4th 03, 05:00 PM
Michael Black

"Spud" ) writes:
Looking for a copy of "Command Sets", article, by Gordon White, published
by Wayne Greene,CQ magazine, Oct.65

Well no. It had to be published by CQ, and the date sounds about right.
But Wayned had left CQ at least 5 years before, and had been publishing
73 for 4 or 5 years by then.

Gordon White wrote the surplus column for CQ for many years in the sixties,
and published at least one standalone article on the Command Sets. I was
never sure whether the book was an anthology of his previous material, or
contained things written specifically for it.

Michael VE2BVW

Old November 6th 03, 07:56 PM
mcalhoun

Looking for a copy of "Command Sets", article, by Gordon White, published
by Wayne Greene,CQ magazine, Oct.65
....[snip]....

Well no. It had to be published by CQ, and the date sounds about right.
....[snip]....

My yellow-backed "COMMAND SETS" book is at hand, and the frontspiece
reads (but I'm NOT going to try to maintain the horizontal spacing!):

COMMAND SETS

as compiled by the Editors of
CQ, the Radio Amateurs Journal

Wayne Green, W2NSD
Art W. Brothers, W7NVY/K2VOO
Jim Morrissett, W8BAJ/K2OLK

published by
Cowan Publishing Corp.
300 W. 43rd St., New York 36, N.Y., U.S.A.

(C) 1957 by Cowan Publishing Corp.
Pan-American and International Copyrights Pending
Translation Rights Reserved

Printed in U.S.A.

I'm not "into" Command sets any longer and might sell it,
if offered a reasonable incentive!

--Myron.
--
Five boxes preserve our freedoms: soap, ballot, witness, jury, and cartridge
PhD EE (retired). "Barbershop" tenor. CDL(PTX). W0PBV. (785) 539-4448

Old November 7th 03, 03:52 AM
Michael Black

mcalhoun ) writes:
[...]

I misread the original post. I thought he was looking for a book,
but it was just an article. The one he's talking about is a historical
article about the Command sets, rather than a technical or modification
article. The CQ book from 1957 is, from a description in the magazine
at the time, a collection of articles about modifying and making use
of the Command sets.

Nevertheless, while Wayne was editor of CQ in the fifties, he
wasn't by the time of the 1965 article. Kenneth Grayson was
the surplus editor for CQ at the time (he had a Porsche, and
was apparently the reason Wayne got one). By 1965, Gordon
White was the surplus editor.

It seems like Gordon White should have written a book about the Command
Sets, or at least collected his already published articles, but it
does not seem to have happened.

Michael VE2BVW