RadioBanter

-   -   This is a Collins ??? (https://www.radiobanter.com/boatanchors/4781-collins.html)

Panzer240 November 29th 03 03:25 AM

This is a Collins ???

Take a look, I vaguely remeber a radio like this but I'm almost sure it
wasn't a Collins.

Panzer

Solderblob November 29th 03 04:00 AM

Looks like an RME 6900, if Osterman's book is right - should be "RARE",
shouldn't it?

AJ

Biz WDØHCO November 29th 03 04:37 AM

It's an RME 6900.

Made in 59 to 1962.

It was the second to last receiver RME made after it merged with
ElectroVoice.

It goes with the 6901 speaker.

6902 was the last model. I have yet to run into anyone that had one.

-Biz WDØHCO

Dbowey November 29th 03 05:47 AM

"Knobs and lettering resemble a Hammarlund product."

That is what I thought also. It is odd there is no logo showing.

Don

Ken Parker November 29th 03 06:25 AM

I beleive the RME 6900 logo was above the main tuning knob. Looks like the
two mounting hole remain.

WB6RLA

AComarow November 29th 03 01:01 PM

It's an RME 6900.

Made in 59 to 1962.

It was the second to last receiver RME made after it merged with
ElectroVoice.

It goes with the 6901 speaker.

6902 was the last model. I have yet to run into anyone that had one.

-Biz WDØHCO

Hi, Biz--

Now you have. I owned one for several years and liked it very much. Sold it
only because of shack overflow.

Avery W3AVE
Potomac, Md.

patgkz November 29th 03 01:12 PM

It is a Colin....not a Collins. I am sure that it must rate at least a CCA
"Excellent".

In this case CCA means "Collins Clone Association"

It should be interesting to see how long it will take the seller to correct
his listing. I am sure the
anal Collins-purists will be bombarding the poor SOB with a flood of
complaints.

73 and keep searching for that teflon-wired RME-6900!

Pat WPE9JRL

Biz WDØHCO November 29th 03 01:59 PM

in article , AComarow at
wrote on 11/29/03 7:01 AM:

It's an RME 6900.

Made in 59 to 1962.

It was the second to last receiver RME made after it merged with
ElectroVoice.

It goes with the 6901 speaker.

6902 was the last model. I have yet to run into anyone that had one.

-Biz WDØHCO

Hi, Biz--

Now you have. I owned one for several years and liked it very much. Sold it
only because of shack overflow.

Avery W3AVE
Potomac, Md.

WOW - well never seen a picture of one but heard of them from some RME
Collectors here in Dallas. Kinda collectable since it was the last gasp of
RME. There is a small group here that collects the last tube rigs of dying
companies from the 50's 60's and 70's.

Interesting concept since back then most would do anything they could to
save their companies and some of these "desperation" rigs reflect that.

-Biz WDØHCO
Dallas, TX.

Panzer240 November 29th 03 02:26 PM

Biz WDØHCO wrote in :

It's an RME 6900.

Made in 59 to 1962.

It was the second to last receiver RME made after it merged with
ElectroVoice.

It goes with the 6901 speaker.

6902 was the last model. I have yet to run into anyone that had one.

-Biz WDØHCO

Yes !!! It comes back to me now :) I have a great memory but it is getting
rather short these days LOL.

TNX

--
Panzer

AComarow November 29th 03 03:44 PM

WOW - well never seen a picture of one but heard of them from some RME
Collectors here in Dallas. Kinda collectable since it was the last gasp of
RME. There is a small group here that collects the last tube rigs of dying
companies from the 50's 60's and 70's.

Interesting concept since back then most would do anything they could to
save their companies and some of these "desperation" rigs reflect that.

-Biz WDØHCO
Dallas, TX

Well, if by desperation you mean ill-conceived or rushed designs, yes, there
was some of that. Hammarlund's HQ-215 or -205 (I don't recall the exact model
number) comes to mind--a nondescript receiver coupled with a CB transmitter.
But the RME 6900 was a very good radio, at least in my opinion. It performed
well and looked pretty neat, and was priced well below the top of hamband-only
receivers.

Avery W3AVE