Old December 13th 03, 12:00 AM
Curtis Eickerman

Default Red SB-101???

I've recently seen the strangest looking SB-101 or 102 (I don't think it is
an SB-100 because it has the CW filter switch), with a bright red front
panel instead of Heathkit green with what looks like original lettering.
However where it should say Heathkit above the main tuning dial is says
"Viking" and where it should say SB-101 or SB-102 it looked like it said
SB-7 (or something similar that was hard to make out). Also the main
cabinet was very dark instead of being the normal light grey. The speaker
cabinet (with standard Heathkit power supply) had a red grill and dark
cabinet as well.

Any idea what the deal would have been with a red SB-101/102?

Curtis
WB6PUS

Old December 13th 03, 08:14 PM
Joe

As a kid with my Grandfather I remember seeing some early red factory built
SB prototype's in the Heathkit store on 49st (?) Manhattan. Im told they are
worth HUGE money today
However after viewing the back of the speaker/PS of set on "that place"
green is visable. It sure looks painted to me.
Speaking of red, about the same time I remember many red painted nickels
going around in NYC (Knickerbocker Ave Brooklyn area). Never knew what that
was about

-Joe

Old December 14th 03, 01:14 AM
David G. Nagel

Red nickels are generally used in bars for playing the juke box. Sort of
priming the pump to try and get the patrons to use their money for
music. The red paint identifies the house money from the patrons money.
The service man sorted the red coins out and returned them to the bar
tender for future use. I did the same thing when I did drop off laundry
in my laundrimat a few years ago. Made life easier.

Dave

Old December 19th 03, 01:03 AM
Chuck Harris

There is a simple reason for defacing an engineering prototype:

The engineers get tired of the PHB's stealing the prototypes in the
middle of the design/development phase and taking them on dog and
pony shows. (And then yelling at the engineers when the project is
running late.)

So, if an engineer wants to continue to have a prototype to work
on, out comes the spray can with the nastiest color he can find.

Red for the "Green" company should do just fine.

-Chuck

Jim Flanagan wrote:
In article JEsCb.4113$J77.3383@fed1read07,
says...

I've recently seen the strangest looking SB-101 or 102 (I don't think it is
an SB-100 because it has the CW filter switch), with a bright red front
panel instead of Heathkit green with what looks like original lettering.
However where it should say Heathkit above the main tuning dial is says
"Viking" and where it should say SB-101 or SB-102 it looked like it said
SB-7 (or something similar that was hard to make out). Also the main
cabinet was very dark instead of being the normal light grey. The speaker
cabinet (with standard Heathkit power supply) had a red grill and dark
cabinet as well.

Any idea what the deal would have been with a red SB-101/102?

Curtis
WB6PUS

It is my understanding that Heath would paint their engineering lab
prototypes red in color. Why? I do not know.. Sounds like that is
what you have.

Jim
WB5KYE

Old December 19th 03, 03:47 AM
Michael A. Terrell

Chuck Harris wrote:

There is a simple reason for defacing an engineering prototype:

The engineers get tired of the PHB's stealing the prototypes in the
middle of the design/development phase and taking them on dog and
pony shows. (And then yelling at the engineers when the project is
running late.)

So, if an engineer wants to continue to have a prototype to work
on, out comes the spray can with the nastiest color he can find.

Red for the "Green" company should do just fine.

-Chuck

Another point: Prototypes are not generally sold, so they need to be
marked in an obvious way or some bean counter will demand it be shipped
to meet a production schedule. I have a number of modules for a well
known telemetry manufacturer with serial numbers that starts with "P"
which means the unit was a prototype for a new radio, and was to be kept
in engineering, or used to calibrate test fixtures.

--
7 days!

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida