RadioBanter

-   -   BC-348 receiver help. (https://www.radiobanter.com/boatanchors/5330-bc-348-receiver-help.html)

HeavyMetal January 26th 04 11:31 PM

BC-348 receiver help.

I acquired a BC-348 receiver. The receiver did play. But stopped. It has a
110 volt mod.
I replaced the caps but the rectifier tube is shorted. The tube is a
Raytheon glass tube with shoulders. Ther is no tube mumber on it except
'280' and 026' on thebottom next tot he name.
Anyone have an idea of what tube they used for the mod?
Thanks..

Roger D Johnson January 27th 04 12:24 AM

HeavyMetal wrote:

By the way, the tube is a four pin..
Thanks..

"HeavyMetal" wrote in message

I acquired a BC-348 receiver. The receiver did play. But stopped. It has a
110 volt mod.
I replaced the caps but the rectifier tube is shorted. The tube is a
Raytheon glass tube with shoulders. Ther is no tube mumber on it except
'280' and 026' on thebottom next tot he name.
Anyone have an idea of what tube they used for the mod?
Thanks..

Sounds like a type 80, a very common type in it's day. IIRC the 2 in the
280 designation indicates the manufacturer.

73, Roger

--
Remove tilde (~) in e-mail address to reply
Remember the USS Liberty (AGTR-5)

N2EY January 27th 04 01:08 AM

In article , "HeavyMetal"
writes:

I acquired a BC-348 receiver. The receiver did play. But stopped. It has a
110 volt mod.
I replaced the caps but the rectifier tube is shorted. The tube is a
Raytheon glass tube with shoulders. Ther is no tube mumber on it except
'280' and 026' on thebottom next tot he name.
Anyone have an idea of what tube they used for the mod?
Thanks..

Sounds like an '80.

If you replace the four-pin socket with an octal, or make an adapter, you can
use the much more common 5Y3GT in place of the "280". They're electrically the
same, but 5Y3s are smaller and much less expensive.

TWO IMPORTANT CAUTIONS ON THE BC-348!!

1) The BC-348 uses a rather unique circuit in the last audio, which functions
as both an audio power amplifier and a shunt regulator. Under no circumstances
should the B+ exceed 220 volts! The ideal B+ supply is between 190 and 220
volts.

2) The BC-348 B- (negative high voltage) is *NOT* grounded! It must be kept
isolated from ground in the power supply, unless major modifications are done
to the receiver. The receiver will work, sort of, with B- grounded, but it is
not recommended.

Complete manuals for the various models of the BC-348 are available free for
the download on KG7BZ's excellent website.

73 de Jim, N2EY

Frank Dresser January 27th 04 02:40 AM

"HeavyMetal" wrote in message
I acquired a BC-348 receiver. The receiver did play. But stopped. It

has a
110 volt mod.
I replaced the caps but the rectifier tube is shorted. The tube is a
Raytheon glass tube with shoulders. Ther is no tube mumber on it

except
'280' and 026' on thebottom next tot he name.
Anyone have an idea of what tube they used for the mod?
Thanks..

"280" is a manufacturer's code. In this case, it's Raytheon. Here's a
list of the codes:

http://www.triodeel.com/eiacode.htm

"026" is probably a date code. Maybe something like the 26th week of
1940 or 1950.

A four pin rectifier is almost certainly a 80.

Frank Dresser

Mike Knudsen January 27th 04 04:13 AM

In article , "HeavyMetal"
writes:

I replaced the caps but the rectifier tube is shorted. The tube is a
Raytheon glass tube with shoulders. Ther is no tube mumber on it except
'280' and 026' on thebottom next to the name.
Anyone have an idea of what tube they used for the mod?

That's a Type 80 tube. Go on rec.antiques.radio+phono and you will find
zillions of them, cheap. Or rewire an octal socket and use a 5Y3.

Check those pseudo-mica bypaass caps (pink) mounted along the side of the
chassis. They like to blow out, and take the screen resistor along for the
ride.
--Mike K.

Oscar loves trash, but hates Spam! Delete him to reply to me.

Mike Knudsen January 27th 04 04:13 AM

In article , (N2EY)
writes:

2) The BC-348 B- (negative high voltage) is *NOT* grounded! It must be kept
isolated from ground in the power supply, unless major modifications are done
to the receiver. The receiver will work, sort of, with B- grounded, but it is
not recommended.

Right. The B- must be fed thru a filter choke, whose toehr end delivers it to
ground. The negative back bias developed across the choke is used to bias the
audio output tube's grid negative. Its cathode is straight grounded, so if you
run without this choke and B-, the output will draw excessive current and
distort.

That choke is in the same sealed case as the output transformer.

A question for the poster I'm responding to: Is that 220 VDC max including the
choke, or just from B+ to chassis ground? I'm assuming the whole thing (choke
included). --Mike K.

Oscar loves trash, but hates Spam! Delete him to reply to me.

HeavyMetal January 27th 04 07:52 AM

Thanks to all for the comments and suggestions.
It's a great ol' receiver. I really like it.
I'll keep everyone posted on the progress.....

"Mike Knudsen" wrote in message
In article , "HeavyMetal"

Rob Mills January 27th 04 06:14 PM

"HeavyMetal" wrote in message

By the way, the tube is a four pin..

The conversion manual (1948) that I have shows a 5Y3. RM~