Old January 26th 04, 11:31 PM
HeavyMetal

Default BC-348 receiver help.

I acquired a BC-348 receiver. The receiver did play. But stopped. It has a
110 volt mod.
I replaced the caps but the rectifier tube is shorted. The tube is a
Raytheon glass tube with shoulders. Ther is no tube mumber on it except
'280' and 026' on thebottom next tot he name.
Anyone have an idea of what tube they used for the mod?
Thanks..

Old January 27th 04, 12:24 AM
Roger D Johnson

HeavyMetal wrote:

By the way, the tube is a four pin..
Thanks..

"HeavyMetal" wrote in message

I acquired a BC-348 receiver. The receiver did play. But stopped. It has a
110 volt mod.
I replaced the caps but the rectifier tube is shorted. The tube is a
Raytheon glass tube with shoulders. Ther is no tube mumber on it except
'280' and 026' on thebottom next tot he name.
Anyone have an idea of what tube they used for the mod?
Thanks..

Sounds like a type 80, a very common type in it's day. IIRC the 2 in the
280 designation indicates the manufacturer.

73, Roger

--
Remove tilde (~) in e-mail address to reply
Remember the USS Liberty (AGTR-5)
Old January 27th 04, 01:08 AM
N2EY

In article , "HeavyMetal"
writes:

I acquired a BC-348 receiver. The receiver did play. But stopped. It has a
110 volt mod.
I replaced the caps but the rectifier tube is shorted. The tube is a
Raytheon glass tube with shoulders. Ther is no tube mumber on it except
'280' and 026' on thebottom next tot he name.
Anyone have an idea of what tube they used for the mod?
Thanks..

Sounds like an '80.

If you replace the four-pin socket with an octal, or make an adapter, you can
use the much more common 5Y3GT in place of the "280". They're electrically the
same, but 5Y3s are smaller and much less expensive.

TWO IMPORTANT CAUTIONS ON THE BC-348!!

1) The BC-348 uses a rather unique circuit in the last audio, which functions
as both an audio power amplifier and a shunt regulator. Under no circumstances
should the B+ exceed 220 volts! The ideal B+ supply is between 190 and 220
volts.

2) The BC-348 B- (negative high voltage) is *NOT* grounded! It must be kept
isolated from ground in the power supply, unless major modifications are done
to the receiver. The receiver will work, sort of, with B- grounded, but it is
not recommended.

Complete manuals for the various models of the BC-348 are available free for
the download on KG7BZ's excellent website.

73 de Jim, N2EY

Old January 27th 04, 02:24 AM
HeavyMetal

Hi..
Thanks Roger..appreciate it..

Old January 27th 04, 02:40 AM
Frank Dresser

"HeavyMetal" wrote in message
I acquired a BC-348 receiver. The receiver did play. But stopped. It

has a
110 volt mod.
I replaced the caps but the rectifier tube is shorted. The tube is a
Raytheon glass tube with shoulders. Ther is no tube mumber on it

except
'280' and 026' on thebottom next tot he name.
Anyone have an idea of what tube they used for the mod?
Thanks..

"280" is a manufacturer's code. In this case, it's Raytheon. Here's a
list of the codes:

http://www.triodeel.com/eiacode.htm

"026" is probably a date code. Maybe something like the 26th week of
1940 or 1950.

A four pin rectifier is almost certainly a 80.

Frank Dresser

Old January 27th 04, 04:13 AM
Mike Knudsen

In article , "HeavyMetal"
writes:

I replaced the caps but the rectifier tube is shorted. The tube is a
Raytheon glass tube with shoulders. Ther is no tube mumber on it except
'280' and 026' on thebottom next to the name.
Anyone have an idea of what tube they used for the mod?

That's a Type 80 tube. Go on rec.antiques.radio+phono and you will find
zillions of them, cheap. Or rewire an octal socket and use a 5Y3.

Check those pseudo-mica bypaass caps (pink) mounted along the side of the
chassis. They like to blow out, and take the screen resistor along for the
ride.
--Mike K.

Oscar loves trash, but hates Spam! Delete him to reply to me.
Old January 27th 04, 07:52 AM
HeavyMetal

Thanks to all for the comments and suggestions.
It's a great ol' receiver. I really like it.
I'll keep everyone posted on the progress.....

"Mike Knudsen" wrote in message
In article , "HeavyMetal"

Old January 27th 04, 06:14 PM
Rob Mills

"HeavyMetal" wrote in message

By the way, the tube is a four pin..

The conversion manual (1948) that I have shows a 5Y3. RM~