Old February 19th 04, 06:08 PM
Judah Smith

Default WTB Radio Shack DX-200

If you have one in good physical and working order, what would you
take for it (including shipping)? I also like to use paypal if
possible.
Old February 20th 04, 10:44 AM
Gregg

Best damn RX for under $1000 for sure!

--
Gregg
*It's probably useful, even if it can't be SPICE'd*
Old February 20th 04, 03:19 PM
Judah Smith

Are you making fun of me? Out of curiousity, does anyone know
anything about this radio? Its sensitivity, selectivity....especially
on AM/SHORTWAVE? I listen to SSB on occasion, but mostly regular
shortwave stations.

Old February 20th 04, 04:37 PM
- - Bill - -

Judah Smith wrote:
Are you making fun of me? Out of curiousity, does anyone know
anything about this radio? Its sensitivity, selectivity....especially
on AM/SHORTWAVE? I listen to SSB on occasion, but mostly regular
shortwave stations.

Every radio is basically performance vs. cost, collector's items
excepted. In the category of under $100 radios it is typical.
Selectivity, stability and immunity to overload tend to be more
expensive but for BCLing and SWLing I think its an okay radio.

http://www.radio67.freeserve.co.uk/s...m#Realistic200

http://user.netonecom.net/~swordman/Radio/DX200.htm

-BM

Old February 21st 04, 09:05 AM
Gregg

Behold, Judah Smith signalled from keyed 4-1000A filament:

Are you making fun of me?

Nope!

I have owned every Rat-Shack RX up to the DX-440 and having worked for
them, used every Grundig up to the Satellir 800 - all junk compared to
the DX-200, IMO.

The front-end overloads easily, so if you're getting lots of
images/splatter, turn the RF gain to somewhere between 9 and 10 o'clock
and you'll be OK :-)

Old February 25th 04, 05:27 AM
Judah Smith

Thanks for the feedback. I'm excited to try it out. I finally took
the plung and tried some hardware mods on my DX-394, and it works
great now. So I am thinking of trying to do some mods to the audio
portion of this radio. Just for kicks. I just have to figure out how
to do it. The DX-394 had a bunch of very detailed instructions for
mods on the net. The DX-200 seems like a much rarer radio, and not as
many people have messed with it. So I may have to experiment. But
being a electronic newbie...it will be a learning curve. At least I
have both the users manual with schematic, and the alignment and
mantaince manual. I'm hoping it is pretty roomy to work in.

My DX-160 is also modded (though not by me) and while I can't testify
to how it sounded before the mods....it sounds really nice with my
headphones now. So I do want to try something with the DX-200.

I often wondered if an audio filter, or equalizer would help if hooked
up to the radio. I wonder if you could adjust it to improve the bass
response.

Old February 25th 04, 03:19 PM
Gregg

Behold, Judah Smith signalled from keyed 4-1000A filament:

I often wondered if an audio filter, or equalizer would help if hooked
up to the radio. I wonder if you could adjust it to improve the bass
response.

I had a jack on the back that sent the audio from the pre-amp transistor
out and in back to the audio power amp IC. One of those things that short
when the jack is out for normal operation and you could plugin audio
processing equipment.

Since I maily DX'd Lowfers and aero NDB's with it, a high-Q filter was a
must. Worked good.

The normal audio circuitry in the DX-200 attenuates everything below 200Hz
for optimum voice reception.