Old February 21st 04, 10:32 AM
Captain Crane

Default Plate Adjustment and Antenna Adjustment on old Tube CB

Hi , I have an old Sonar FS23 tube CB radio which has a Plate Adjustment
knob on the back of the radio. How and why is this used ?. Does anyone
know the procedures on how to make the Adjustments on this.
also
there is an Antenna Adjustment Screw on the back of this radio as well.
Does anyone know the procedures on how to make the adjustments to this
also.
Please let me know. Thanks to all who can help me.
Brian
Las Vegas, NV

Old February 21st 04, 12:35 PM
- - Bill - -

Captain Crane wrote:
Hi , I have an old Sonar FS23 tube CB radio which has a Plate Adjustment
knob on the back of the radio. How and why is this used ?. Does anyone
know the procedures on how to make the Adjustments on this.
also
there is an Antenna Adjustment Screw on the back of this radio as well.
Does anyone know the procedures on how to make the adjustments to this
also.
Please let me know. Thanks to all who can help me.
Brian
Las Vegas, NV

They are the equivalent of TUNE and LOAD controls on a normal transmitter.

-BM

Old February 21st 04, 04:03 PM
Edward Knobloch

Captain Crane wrote:
Hi , I have an old Sonar FS23 tube CB radio which has a Plate Adjustment
knob on the back of the radio. How and why is this used ?. Does anyone
know the procedures on how to make the Adjustments on this.
also
there is an Antenna Adjustment Screw on the back of this radio as well.
Does anyone know the procedures on how to make the adjustments to this
also.
Please let me know. Thanks to all who can help me.
Brian
Las Vegas, NV

To adjust the output circuit,
attach the rig to a well balanced antenna.
Start with the "Antenna" capacitor fully meshed.
Transmit with no audio, adjust the "Plate" capacitor
for maximum forward power on your rf wattmeter
or SWR bridge. Decrease the "Antenna" capacitor slightly,
and repeak power output with the "Plate" capacitor.
Repeat until there is very little further increase
in output, should be around 3 or 4 watts output.
Do not reduce the "Antenna" capacitor beyond that point.
Note that the peaking of the rf output with the "Plate"
capacitor should always be the last operation performed.

Regards,
Ed Knobloch