Old March 18th 04, 06:54 PM
Frank Krozel

Default Wanted Signal One, Non-working

Not the CX-5 please want one newer, non-working is fine..

--
Best Regards, Frank, KG9H

Old March 18th 04, 08:27 PM
Harold E. Johnson

"Frank Krozel" wrote in message
hlink.net...
Not the CX-5 please want one newer, non-working is fine..

Well, we had a CX-7, and a CX-11, and a CX-11A. (Not to mention slight
modifications to the CX-7 making them into CX-7A's and B's.

Never ever was a CX-5

W4ZCB

Old March 18th 04, 09:06 PM
Michael Black

"Harold E. Johnson" ) writes:
"Frank Krozel" wrote in message
hlink.net...
Not the CX-5 please want one newer, non-working is fine..

Well, we had a CX-7, and a CX-11, and a CX-11A. (Not to mention slight
modifications to the CX-7 making them into CX-7A's and B's.

Never ever was a CX-5

W4ZCB

Circa 1972, there was an ad in "73" for some new Signal Ones. A
receiver, and maybe a transmitter. My guess was it was the big fat
November issue that year, if anyone has there issues in better state
than mine. I suspect they never went beyond those ads, though.

I figured a CX-5 might have been one of those, except that I saw
no reference to such equipment beyond that ad.

Michael VE2BVW

Old March 18th 04, 11:27 PM
Harold E. Johnson

Circa 1972, there was an ad in "73" for some new Signal Ones. A
receiver, and maybe a transmitter. My guess was it was the big fat
November issue that year, if anyone has there issues in better state
than mine. I suspect they never went beyond those ads, though.

I figured a CX-5 might have been one of those, except that I saw
no reference to such equipment beyond that ad.

Nope, was initially designed as an integrated station (1969), receiver
(dual) and tracking transmitter. Actually, the designation was :
CX for "Century series"
-7 for 10^7 Hz, ie 30 MHz. (Initially thought of including 6 meters, but
that was dropped before the first one was built. Almost made it a CX-8.

The 11 was a different manufacturer, never did understand the rational of
that other than it sounded good.

W4ZCB

Old March 19th 04, 01:45 PM
Harold E. Johnson

I've seen picture of a Signal/One "receiver" in a book on receivers.
It was a prototype, maybe a mock up and never saw production.

Never even a consideration much less a prototype or mockup. Somebody else
playing games with Photoshop.

W4ZCB

If you could find one, it would be priced "way up there".

de ah6gi/4 currently restoring a CX7A. Not bad for a boat anchor.

Old March 20th 04, 04:53 AM
Michael Black

"Harold E. Johnson" ) writes:
I've seen picture of a Signal/One "receiver" in a book on receivers.
It was a prototype, maybe a mock up and never saw production.

Never even a consideration much less a prototype or mockup. Somebody else
playing games with Photoshop.

W4ZCB

Just because you haven't seen anything does not make it untrue. Thee
was no "Photoshop" back in 1972.

Like I said, there was an ad in "73" in the fall of 1972, again I'd
say the November issue, from Signal One where they detailed a few
pieces of equipment. One of them was a receiver, I think there
was a transmitter, and there might even have been another transceiver.
I can't find that issue, it must be filed somewhere else.

And yes, it was the only time I saw the ad, and I've never seen mention
of any of those units since.

But either they did mock up some units, or there were prototypes, because
there were photos in that ad.

Michael VE2BVW

Old March 20th 04, 05:42 AM
exray

Michael Black wrote:
"Harold E. Johnson" ) writes:

[...]

Unless its the power of suggestion at work, I too seem to recall a
Signal One rcvr...or at least a photo of one.

-Bill M

Old March 20th 04, 12:31 PM
Harold E. Johnson

Just because you haven't seen anything does not make it untrue. Thee
was no "Photoshop" back in 1972.

I was one of the design engineers back in 1969 and 1970. The company was
sold (Should say given, he never paid for it) to a Jay Halliday in 1971. He
ran it into the ground and the IRS closed him up. He may have had a paper
thin model of a Rx, but never had the smarts or the ability to build one.
Subsequent to Halliday was Don Rohrs. He built the CX11 and later models.
There still was never a CX-5 or a receiver.

W4ZCB

Old March 20th 04, 12:40 PM
John Miller

Michael Black wrote:

Just because you haven't seen anything does not make it untrue.

You do know you're talking with a Signal/One designer, right?

--
John Miller
Email address: domain, n4vu.com; username, jsm

Things will be bright in P.M. A cop will shine a light in your face.