Old March 29th 04, 03:58 PM
David Stinson

Default 2004 Annual Over-Used Ebay Term Count

It's time once again for our annual count
of the descriptive words
made meaningless by overuse and abuse in Ebay titles.

Term Last Year This Year

Vintage: 228227 421013
Ra 182368 282727
Deco: 15501 222190
Mint: 144747 211060
Antique: 45956 89050
L@@k: 52905 82961
Special: 26215 33943
Collectable: (new) 32868
Unique: 19527 31024
Retro: (new) 30350

Sadly, we can no longer keep track of the
amusing over-use of exclaimation points
(Rare! Rare!! R-A-R-E!!!!!!!!!!!!)
as Ebay's search engine no longer counts them.

Among radio listings, "vintage" is still the champ
with 2335 listings.
"Mint" has yielded third place to "Deco,"
which has come out of the bush leagues
to rocket up the chart.
The new buzzword, "retro," is one to watch.

Regards,
Dave S.

Old March 29th 04, 04:47 PM
Mike Schultz

I notice the eBay search no longer distinguishes between L@@K, L@@@k,
L@@@@K, and so forth. How sad.

--
Mike Schultz

Old March 29th 04, 08:26 PM
Phil Witt

Ph@@ey!!!!!!!!!!

I use them all the time.

You didn't answer my email so I guess you don't know the answer.

Ok.

Phil

Old March 29th 04, 08:52 PM
Bill Morris

Don't forget the term, "minty," whateverthehell that is.....:-)

I use the term vintage all the time in my auctions. Sounds nicer than
old....

Old March 29th 04, 09:02 PM
Buck Frobisher

"Bill Morris" wrote in message
. ..
Don't forget the term, "minty," whateverthehell that is.....:-)

I use the term vintage all the time in my auctions. Sounds nicer than
old....

Yeah, and what about "Eames", or "Eames era"? All those $10 '50s (oops,
make that "Mid-Century Classic") clock radios would go in the trash without
that special additive.

--
"Stay calm. Be brave. Wait for the signs."

regards,

Frank Johansen
Aurora, Ontario

Old March 29th 04, 09:33 PM
Scott Dorsey

Buck Frobisher wrote:
"Bill Morris" wrote in message
Don't forget the term, "minty," whateverthehell that is.....:-)

I use the term vintage all the time in my auctions. Sounds nicer than
old....

Yeah, and what about "Eames", or "Eames era"? All those $10 '50s (oops,
make that "Mid-Century Classic") clock radios would go in the trash without
that special additive.

RADIO SHACK TUBE MIKE PREAMP!!!! JUST LIKE NEVE, ALTEC!
--scott

Old March 29th 04, 09:52 PM
Jim Menning

"David Stinson" wrote in message
It's time once again for our annual count
of the descriptive words
made meaningless by overuse and abuse in Ebay titles.

Term Last Year This Year

Collectable: (new) 32868

Don't forget "Collectible".

jim menning

Old March 29th 04, 11:07 PM
Buck Frobisher

"Scott Dorsey" wrote in message
Buck Frobisher wrote:

snip
RADIO SHACK TUBE MIKE PREAMP!!!! JUST LIKE NEVE, ALTEC!
--scott

Yes, but the "just like" thing is agin th' rulz though. We are not amused
when it makes scrap turn up in a search for something nice.

--
"C'est un Nagra. C'est suisse, et très, très précis, mais cher en
tabbarwit!"

regards,

Frank Johansen
Aurora, Ontario

Old March 30th 04, 01:07 AM
David Stinson

Jim Menning wrote:
Collectable: (new) 32868

Don't forget "Collectible".

OOPS! (Blush...)

Old March 30th 04, 01:58 AM
Jim

David,
Thanks. I found this interesting. As "search terms" any of those words
would give overwhelming results, for sure. As descriptive add ons, I
guess they have a place.
For radios, I suppose a purist would say there is no such thing as an
antique radio (over 100 years old), but that dead horse was beaten
many threads back.

I just did some quick ebay searches:
"collectable": 9,528 items available now
"collectible": 15,741 items available now

I did manage to find:
-- one "collectible unique rare deco" item. A "must have"!
-- 89 "vintage rare deco" pieces, including a cool radio poster, a
microphone, an RCA radio, a Zenith radio
-- "piece crap" yielded a paltry 2 items
-- 389 antique radios or related
-- 588 unique antiques

This is fun! Thanks for the inspiration.

Jim (one of them)