RadioBanter

-   -   Mackay 3010B Info wanted (https://www.radiobanter.com/boatanchors/6069-mackay-3010b-info-wanted.html)

Mark Oppat April 16th 04 08:32 PM

Mackay 3010B Info wanted

Are these Mackay 3010B receivers in the same calibur as a R-390's? Also,
what do these receivers generally go for?
Does anyone have one to sell?
email me direct at

remove nospam to reply.

Doug April 16th 04 09:52 PM

On Fri, 16 Apr 2004 15:32:10 -0400, "Mark Oppat"
wrote:

Are these Mackay 3010B receivers in the same calibur as a R-390's? Also,
what do these receivers generally go for?
Does anyone have one to sell?
email me direct at

I've used both aboard ship.
In my opinion, the R-390 is a much better receiver.

That Mackay 3010, as I remember it, had some sort of frame-grid
pentode as an RF amp that used to short out with any static discharge,
near lightning strike or simply being overloaded by the ship's
transmitters.

That green/yellow frequency dial tape was also a pain in the butt to
repair. Its sprocket holes would wear. Of course, I'm talking about in
heavy duty usage.

The mechanical digital readout of the R-390 series had it all over the
dial system of that Mackay.

I've seen the 3010 sell for about $500 to $800 in excellent condition.
One neat thing about it was its cast aluminum chassis with each sub
circuit housed in cast "pockets".

Don't get me wrong. The 3010 is an excellent receiver. I just think
that the R-390 (especially the "A") is a better one.

73,
Doug/WA1TUT

Edward Knobloch April 17th 04 06:02 AM

Mark Oppat wrote:
Are these Mackay 3010B receivers in the same calibur as a R-390's? Also,
what do these receivers generally go for?
Does anyone have one to sell?
email me direct at

QST reviewed the Mackay 3010B in April 1967 (they loved it
for its strong signal handling performance near the W1AW
kilowatts.)

The rf amplifier frame grid tube that Doug mentioned
as a weak point is the Amperex type 7788. It has an extremely high
Gm, and is sought after by the Audiophile croud,
so is an expensive tube to replace. Many 3010 receivers
have their front panel gouged near the broadcast band reject filter,
since that filter had to be unscrewed from the front panel
for access to the 7788 tube.

One advantage of the 3010 receiver, is that it uses the same
3.1 KHz plug-in mechanical filter as the Collins 75A4,
and a socket was provided for an optional 500 Hz c.w. filter.
The 6 KHz bandwidth is produced by a built-in crystal filter.

The tuning rate is too fast for good SSB, and you wind up using
the variable BFO knob as a poor man's fine tuning.
SSB was after-thought with this receiver. The BFO pitch control isn't
even calibrated "USB/LSB".

73,
Ed Knobloch

Mike Knudsen April 21st 04 09:05 PM

In article , Doug
writes:

That green/yellow frequency dial tape was also a pain in the butt to
repair. Its sprocket holes would wear. Of course, I'm talking about in
heavy duty usage.

The mechanical digital readout of the R-390 series had it all over the
dial system of that Mackay.

Now you've got all of us Racal RA-17 family owners shaking in our boots!
Will our dial tapes wear out soon? What will we do then?

Now, my RA-17C is pretty well worn on the front panel, seems to have had lots
of use, but the tape still reads within a KC, and the holes don't seem to be
worn.
Maybe Racal did a better job than MacKay?
Tnx es 73, Mike K.
Oscar loves trash, but hates Spam! Delete him to reply to me.