Old April 16th 04, 08:32 PM
Mark Oppat

Default Mackay 3010B Info wanted

Are these Mackay 3010B receivers in the same calibur as a R-390's? Also,
what do these receivers generally go for?
Does anyone have one to sell?
email me direct at

remove nospam to reply.

Old April 16th 04, 09:52 PM
Doug

On Fri, 16 Apr 2004 15:32:10 -0400, "Mark Oppat"
wrote:

Are these Mackay 3010B receivers in the same calibur as a R-390's? Also,
what do these receivers generally go for?
Does anyone have one to sell?
email me direct at

I've used both aboard ship.
In my opinion, the R-390 is a much better receiver.

That Mackay 3010, as I remember it, had some sort of frame-grid
pentode as an RF amp that used to short out with any static discharge,
near lightning strike or simply being overloaded by the ship's
transmitters.

That green/yellow frequency dial tape was also a pain in the butt to
repair. Its sprocket holes would wear. Of course, I'm talking about in
heavy duty usage.

The mechanical digital readout of the R-390 series had it all over the
dial system of that Mackay.

I've seen the 3010 sell for about $500 to $800 in excellent condition.
One neat thing about it was its cast aluminum chassis with each sub
circuit housed in cast "pockets".

Don't get me wrong. The 3010 is an excellent receiver. I just think
that the R-390 (especially the "A") is a better one.

73,
Doug/WA1TUT
Old April 21st 04, 09:05 PM
Mike Knudsen

In article , Doug
writes:

That green/yellow frequency dial tape was also a pain in the butt to
repair. Its sprocket holes would wear. Of course, I'm talking about in
heavy duty usage.

The mechanical digital readout of the R-390 series had it all over the
dial system of that Mackay.

Now you've got all of us Racal RA-17 family owners shaking in our boots!
Will our dial tapes wear out soon? What will we do then?

Now, my RA-17C is pretty well worn on the front panel, seems to have had lots
of use, but the tape still reads within a KC, and the holes don't seem to be
worn.
Maybe Racal did a better job than MacKay?
Tnx es 73, Mike K.
Oscar loves trash, but hates Spam! Delete him to reply to me.

Bkuetooth headset mic combination info wanted. Jim Antenna 0 August 27th 04 03:29 AM
Wanted Info Antennas by Smithe 15m Broomstick Randy and Cara Randall Antenna 0 May 8th 04 05:13 PM
Heathkit info wanted. Theo Boatanchors 2 October 14th 03 09:34 PM
Wanted: Info on Gates MO-3452 HF Exciter Amp Joe Curry Boatanchors 0 August 31st 03 05:20 PM
Wanted: SWAN Mobile Antenna Info Norm VE3CZI Boatanchors 3 July 18th 03 10:44 PM