Old April 28th 04, 03:08 AM
Tony Angerame

Default CR-88/AR-88 Piston Capacitors

In a recent restoration project I noted that some of these in the RF
section, mainly on the three highest bands are intermittent. i.e. I tap on
one a few times and a previously dead band comes alive. It seems to last but
I'd sure like to clean these up. Can someone describe the construction? They
appear to be a slug (Made of a dielectric?) inside a ceramic tube with metal
end caps. Should I use deoxit around the screw and twist a bit? I'll
probably clean these in conjunction with an rf alignment.

Nice receiver BTW stable with great audio.

TIA Tony WA6LZH

Old April 29th 04, 04:10 PM
Henry Kolesnik

Its been over 40 years since I played with one but I don't recall the
pistons being a problem back then but 40 years can do a lot, self evident.
Have you made sure it's not something else. Try freeze spray and putting a
hot soldering iron tip near the piston caps to confirm that they're the
problem.
73
Hank WD5JFR

Old April 30th 04, 01:23 AM
Tony Angerame

Thanks for the reply Henry. Good tips. What I found was that after
taking the
locking nuts off I could see what appeared to be lubriplate on the
shafts and rods. I cleaned them up with contact cleaner followed by
deoxit. Now they slide and work well. It's kind of spooky to realize
that some tech way back maybe as far as WWII applied that grease. Like
a voice from the past. Are you familiar with the AR-88/CR-88? That
wasn't you with the Lubriplate was it? Just kidding.
I fashioned a tool out of some brass rod stock I had on hand (fell
behind the work bench from a previous project but that's another
story.) This radio lines up pretty quick once you figure out where all
the L's and C' are.

Thanks,

Tony WA6LZH

Old April 30th 04, 01:34 AM
Tony Angerame

Good tips. Thanks Henry. I think I figured it out. Looks like someone
put grease i.e Lubriplate on some of the pistons. Cleaned it up and
deoxed it works fine slides nice. Have you dealt with the AR-88/CR-88
much? That wasn't you with the Lubriplate was it? Just kidding! Kind
of eery to think of someone doing that 50 years ago or more and I just
ran into it. Thanks for you r reply.

Tony WA6LZH

"Afflicted with the rare disease boa-tanchor-itis. The primary symptom
being the uncontollable urge to spend the rent money at flea markets."

Checking leaky caps gil Boatanchors 86 October 31st 03 04:13 PM
Wanted: 225 MFD 300VDC Capacitors Jeff Camp Boatanchors 10 October 7th 03 05:53 AM
Wanted: 225 MFD 300VDC Capacitors Jeff Camp Boatanchors 0 October 3rd 03 05:06 AM
WTD: High Voltage Paper/Paper in Oil capacitors Roger Basford Boatanchors 0 August 28th 03 06:40 AM